Oil change on AAZ

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

Oil change on AAZ

Post by Middle29 »

I'm about to do an oil change on an AAZ. Am I correct in assuming 4.5l if I change the oil filter?

I understand an AAZ conversion can have a dipstick change or not - how do I know if this has been done? And where the correct point on dipstick is. I would of course mark it once I know.

Cheers
1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Re: Oil change on AAZ

Post by pirate-pete »

If dipstick can be checked through the number plate hatch it probably has been done and if it is a straight one that just comes out above the engine behind the alternator then you can't be sure.

Best way is to drain completely , change your filter and add the 4.5 litres of oil. Run engine a bit and then allow to settle. Then check your dipstick. If showing max then you have correct dipstick. If one from a car it probably won't even show the level as they are too short. So as a temp measure get some straight bit of rod and dunk it in until it hits the bottom. Then mark that with your full level. Min level on a real dipstick is 12 mm below that if you want a min mark.. Then keep this stick handy near engine for when you want to check and just use old one to bung the hole.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

Re: Oil change on AAZ

Post by Middle29 »

That's great - thanks Pete. It does come from number plate hatch and its a curvy one - so that sounds good. I'll follow your instructions and change it tomorrow. Thanks mate.
1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD