Early gearbox late van

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Goldfeesh

Early gearbox late van

Post by Goldfeesh »

Hi,

Im about to install my early dk gearbox in my late panel van. They obviously don't normally fit right. Has anyone modified their gearbox mount to accommodate what I'm doing? Any pics/plans etc?

Cheers
Graham

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Early gearbox late van

Post by multisi »

There are no details of what engine you have.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

Sorry, didn't think it would matter. I have a subaru 2.5 and using the rjes engine mount and dk box with rjes gearbox bell housing.

multisi

Post by multisi »

Oh Its important to state what engine you have and what you are doing, it sounded like you are trying to fit an Aircooled gearbox to a vw engine. As for fitting, RJES have a mount and gear rod extension kit to fit the early box. You will need the early rear linkage rod aswell.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

multisi wrote:Oh Its important to state what engine you have and what you are doing, it sounded like you are trying to fit an Aircooled gearbox to a vw engine. As for fitting, RJES have a mount and gear rod extension kit to fit the early box. You will need the early rear linkage rod aswell.

Awesome cheers dude!!!

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

Post back from the dead a bit...

I think I have the big bits I need for this now. I have the shift linkage, am I right in thinking I use the front part from the late van and the rear from early? It seems to line up already doing that because the front part of the late linkage is longer than the early. Do i need the extension? I still need to fit it properly so i could be wrong saying that though.

The gearbox is fitted with the rjes extended mount.

multisi

Post by multisi »

How I did mine was to cut the end with the swivel knuckle off the rear late linkage rod and graft that onto the early rear linkage rod after cutting off the clamp end. I didn't use the rjes gearbox kit though because the big 3.3 engine would have been pushed back too much. What are the parts in the kit like ?

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

Which parts Do you mean? The gearbox mount kit? The mount is canny and there is a tube to extend the linkage with it but looking at it, if I use the front late and rear early linkage it might just fit. I'm just waiting to get some bits from brickwerks when they are back in stock to try and install everything.

multisi

Post by multisi »

The swivel joint on the end of the late front rod has to be used, this was the part that was welded on to the early rear rod.

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

Cheers dude I'll have a look at it. After bugjam now I think!