Temperature gauge red flashing light

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

neilh
80-90 Mem No: 7853

Temperature gauge red flashing light

Post by neilh »

Hi all

I have successfully installed a Subaru EJ20 into my van, and it runs brilliantly, making hills a doddle now!
I've been back on the road a few months and just need to sort out a couple of bits, mainly the red flashing light on the temperature gauge. I'm aware of how it is supposed to work with stock engine and wiring but, using the RJES loom, there is no wire going to the header tank cap (unless I've missed something) and this is the issue I guess.
Does anybody know how I can make the light stop flashing, without putting black tape over it?

Incidentally, as an aside, I've noticed that the engine seems to run at a higher temperature than before on the gauge, but I've checked the fan cuts in/out ok. It's controlled by the ECU not the rad fan switch in this instance.

Thanks
Neil

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Re: Temperature gauge red flashing light

Post by marlinowner »

If you haven't got the coolant level sensor connected then pull the "relay" marked 42 or 43, that will disable the level warning but the overheating warning will still work.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

neilh
80-90 Mem No: 7853

Post by neilh »

marlinowner wrote:If you haven't got the coolant level sensor connected then pull the "relay" marked 42 or 43, that will disable the level warning but the overheating warning will still work.

Great, thanks I'll give that a try :)

Al Housman
80-90 Mem No: 11858

Post by Al Housman »

I discovered (to my great cost) too late that the earth strap from gearbox to chassis was broken. Red light flashed even when there was plenty of coolant so I ignored it till the day when it really was low. You can guess the rest.

Might be worth double checking.

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

There still should be a level sensor connection. Check with rjes. I still have one, from memory going through the black junction box in engine bay, but can't check right now

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed