"bar-steward" joke read Somerset help with engine conversions

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gin23deluxe
80-90 Mem No: 2841

"bar-steward" joke read Somerset help with engine conversions

Post by gin23deluxe »

Hi guys I'm looking to do a conversion on my Bus from 1.6 JX TD head gaskets gone
Looking for help from other folk that have done the job themselves for help. I would consider paying them for time.
My skills can more than cope
However practical hands on help is what I'm looking for
I have a virtually zero mile ABU TDI engine complete but no ECU wiring loom bout. Have a 2 litre Scooby with adapter loom. But rather diesel.
I want the simplest most cost affective solution
I've a family and skint lol as most of us are.
Please any help cheers Mark Hopley
Last edited by gin23deluxe on 23 Sep 2017, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

gin23deluxe

Re: Somerset help with engine conversions

Post by gin23deluxe »

That's an AHU TDI predictive text grrrr

gin23deluxe

Post by gin23deluxe »

Fantastic response

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Impatience really helps your cause! You are asking something that only a minority have done to their vans and it is the middle of the holiday season. For that post, I'm out.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

My first conversion was a Subaru to replace a 1.6 JX diesel. Engine out , fuel tank out and a relocation of the battery to under front seat. I used RJES conversion parts with instructions and also got RJES to convert the loom. This would be the easiest conversion for you . I don't know much about the diesel conversion you have in mind but reading up on various posts it seems less diy than a Subaru . Who converted the Subaru loom ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

im in bristol so happy to give any Scooby advice as I did my own conversion and found it to be fairly easy ,your also welcome to come and have at look at mine if this helps

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Well, IMO the simplest and most cost-effective replacement for a JX is neither a Subaru nor a TDI.

It's ether a 2l GTI engine or a 1.9 IDI engine (non-turbo or turbo). Both from a Mk3 car.

Whilst a TDI is nearly bolt-in with just an adapter for the turbo, but, you have the intercooler acquire and fit, the wiring to do, which is non-trivial, and the biggie is the gearing. For many its worth it though, as the torque and fuel efficiency are unbeatable.

With the Subaru, you need a number of quite costly conversion parts, and there is the wiring to sort, which for the uninitiated will be a challenge.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

gin23deluxe

Post by gin23deluxe »

Thanks guys, oh an yes I'm impatient, definitely, it's an ugly trait. :oops:
Domino that sounds great I'd love to come and have a look. As I've an adapter plate, several 2 litre engines and looms, several Kennedy clutch's
What sort of mpg you getting domino. Would you pm me a contact number please Domino
Hi Andy yes if I had a loom and ecu for the AHU engine id have done it, I was looking at an alternative pump none ecu. Shame as is zero miles. The other alternative was an AEF code engine.
Thanks Guys appreciate your help and feedback
Mark Hopley

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Aha! Now that you've mentioned the possibility of an AEF engine, I'd be pleased to try and help. PM sent.
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

AEF is super easy. Worth thinking about your gearing as well if you want to go 70mph without revving very high.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

If the gearbox is the original 5 speed that was fitted to the JX then the gearing will be fine.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

gin23deluxe

Post by gin23deluxe »

Thanks guys the 1990 has a 4 speed,
I'll be in touch and thanks appreciate it
Cheers mark

gin23deluxe

Re: WHAT A JOKE, NOT, Somerset help with engine conversions

Post by gin23deluxe »

Hi all yes what a "bar-steward" nightmare this bus is turning out to be, to say I was sold a "pooh" is an understatement
Gutted, two bad buys, the G reg Jx an 1983 1.9 df code rot box. That only just had a bit of grot in the guttering.
Yesterday was probably the worst EVER day of owning a Volkswagen if I'd had a lighter I'd have burnt it, nearly broke me.
After paying to have the engine sorted, my logic being that the G reg high top Reimo Jx powered bus drove well with three issues the red flashing dash light but not over temperature, slight pressure in the cooling system
And a bit of gearbox wine at higher 4 th gear driving. But it was quiet and reasonably quiet, not smokey when upto temprature.
So a local garage looked at the bus, said yes head or gasket but bout wrong apart from that, seemed to know his stuff reference T25 s. So we cut a break short in North Devon as he wanted the van asap and we had a week booked in at a campsite in st Ives Cornwall, said it be a week sensibly. Dropped the van Tuesday, on the following Monday after no response answering my calls I go to the garage two days before collection, he s removed all hoses, airbox, disconnected wiring, nout else. We had words as he gave me every excuse including wiring catching fire or smoking it was imaginative and endless over 7 weeks, not happy I removed the head in his yard in the rain, head was shot, found one in Germany which arrived 2 days later (impressed) it then took till last week to get my van back. So 7 weeks, £480 from an initial quote of £200 (I supplied head, head gasket and fluid)
When I got there van was smoking (black grey smoke) especially reving it,it was very loud as in diesel knock, tractor like, the garage owner/mechanic said were puzzled to where some of the pipes go, its nor making sense, breathers and turbo related !!! Also if I wire the coolant sensors this way the gauge goes straight to hot in minutes and the red light flashes, but I've wired it the way I have it climbs steadily to middle no flashing light (he replaced several coolant sensors and the plastic section under the pump.
Being alarmed annoyed, we argued I wanted to lamp him, but controlled it just, I just wanted my van back
Long shot was I had to pay him, to get me van back, I drove less than a mile just home, within 1/4 mile red light flashing, no power, smoking badly on acceleration, oil light coming on at idle
So I rang my usual garage and they said we can fit it in an have a look, 3 days after I delivered the van just before 4 nights of work, feed back was everything was wrong wiring, pipe work, turbo not connected at all, breather piped wrong, hoses missing, air filter box to turbo.
I bought what I thought right from brickwerk s but it was wrong.
I picked the van up to be told it's better, we think the wiring s right, but the long turbo to airbox its missing, but we have piped it up the turbo to the air box. Oh an we think the pump timings out as it's very diesel knock sounding, kinda thought take it on chin, get the right hoses.
At least we can go off to Beer head as planned til sunday, I did say will it be ok an make it to sidmouth 40 miles ish
Yes mate the garage said, 7 miles down the road it shat itself an I walked home, left it, abandoned
I was on the way to my step daughters as we where all going away, the van was smoking so bad I couldn't see behind but I was stuck on a busy carriageway no where to pull over, when I did there was oil pissing out of everywhere, filler neck, dipstick, pools of oil.
Later I then had to walk 8.5 miles back with oil and tools to get it home. Smoking over reving, dropping oil. Only the oil pressure light didn't come on, it started first turn of the key this morning.
Basically I've had enough, to say I'm "feck" right off is an understatement, added to insult I ripped the belly pan off our Fiat 500 Abarth on low ground moving it on the lawn to make room for the van which has never happened before.
If there was a garage I could trust locally I would use em, no confidence there, information on the JX engine and all ancillaries is virtually non existent, why don't Haynes do anything detailed on it, just to see what pipework goes where, breathers, turbo feed. Etc.
So I'm buggered what to do, simple conversion, AEF, 1Y, (Both seem scarce when you want one)
what's a quick reliable straight forward
What resources are out there. Anyone please,
Mark

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re:

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Use the Russek pocket mechanic for info on the 1.6/1.7 engines.

1Ys on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK3-1 ... SwA2hZt8KI + one other.
A lot cheaper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-1Y-1-9-Die ... Swc1FZvQEE

but you are going to have to learn to do things yourself rather than rely on garages who usually don't know what they are doing. Their mechanics will usually be younger than your van. :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

gin23deluxe

Re:

Post by gin23deluxe »

Thanks oldie for the links, yes it s not a case of learning but unfamiliarity and having my 1961-15 window split half way through it's resto, an my recently stolen recovered 1956 oval Ragtop, being repaired after the damage the thieves left, plus a custom paint job on my Ducati 1098.
Lack of room and patience with spending a bag of money on a so called low owner reliable van that's turned out to be a pile of festering SH1TE.
Yes I guess it be too much to ask to expect a garage to repair it right.
But I know where your coming from.
The AEF engine is looking favourite
Thanks Colin for the heads up.
Cheers mark