Ed code in a t25?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

steve66
80-90 Mem No: 0

Ed code in a t25?

Post by steve66 »

Hi all! I currently run a ct in my 1980 Devon, it's fine but very underpowered. I've seen an ed code engine 1.8 fuel injected 70bhp originally fitted to late bays. Any idea if it's worth looking at? It seems like a good option, just after some advice. Thanks folks. Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Ed code in a t25?

Post by bigherb »

Not a strait forward swap. The problem is you would have the source and adapt the T25 tinware around the engine. Heat exchangers and the cylinder head flange and heating system are different. Depends on how well you want to do it could also involve a T25 fan housing. ED was a USA engine with a different exhaust system as well which further complicates things. The gear ratios on the CT gearbox are too short for a larger engine, it was designed for urban life where much above up 40mph was not it's prime purpose.
If you want more pep a twin carb conversion would be easier.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

steve66
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by steve66 »

Ok thanks for that! Didn't really think about tinware. I guess it's a type4 engine really? Don't feel the need to swap the box too. I've a nice pair of twin Dells that I could pop on. Just clearance under the engine hatch looks tight.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

steve66 wrote:Ok thanks for that! Didn't really think about tinware. I guess it's a type4 engine really? Don't feel the need to swap the box too. I've a nice pair of twin Dells that I could pop on. Just clearance under the engine hatch looks tight.

Type 3 twin port inlet manifolds would keep the carbs lower than the type 1 manifolds.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow