AAZ fuel pump timing

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrnickmuss
80-90 Mem No: 0

AAZ fuel pump timing

Post by mrnickmuss »

After killing my previous AAZ engine and replacing it with another which also had issues, I have now had the head skimmed and have replaced the gasket. All I now have to do is torque the head bolts correctly (which I am not looking forward to doing the final 90 degree turns ) and sort the timing... However while I was dismantling the head I decided to sort the cold start fuel advance. I have reinstated the manual cable. (the original JX cable was still in place) This meant I had to remove fuel pump. When I went to refit and reattach fuel pipes I realised I had moved the axis of the pump.
I have adjusted it so I can fit the fuel lines comfortably.
What I want to know is.... Is it a case of start the engine and see how it goes, or am I going to have problems? Or am I going to have to get hold of a timing gauge?
I usually get support from my very friendly old school mechanic, but unfortunately he has just started Chemotherapy this week, so I am flying solo.....
Any advice greatly appreciated.

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: AAZ fuel pump timing

Post by ELVIS »

To do it without dti....... Leave just enough slack in pump bolts so you can the pump with the engine running.

Start engine and tap pump towards cylinder head. Eventually you will hear a knocking noise, tap pump with soft head/palm of hand back towards battery until the point the knocking just stops.

Bit of an agricultural method but every time I've done it, it's always been between 0.9 + 1.00 so pretty accurate :ok

mrnickmuss
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: AAZ fuel pump timing

Post by mrnickmuss »

Thanks Elvis.... Can you this be done from cold?
The saga continues!