New Engine Needed, time is ticking

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pierce
80-90 Mem No: 9002

New Engine Needed, time is ticking

Post by pierce »

My Jx engine needs replacing.

I would like a few opinions on the best course of action to take, given that I need it back on the road again before August for summer holidays, so I don't want to tackle anything too complex.

Remanufactured JX, A pretty easy fit, with good reliability, cost 1.5k
Remanufactured AAZ, Easy-ish to fit, cost 2.5k
Newer TDI, complicated to fit; not priced this up, but get the feeling there are a few too many challenges given the time.

Subaru or Golf GTI engine; previously I had discounted these, but I have seen kits available for the Subaru at 550 + engine, so it's left me thinking if its an option in the time frame.

Any advice would be welcome :ok
88 Westie 1.6TD

randolph57
80-90 Mem No: 5801

Re: New Engine Needed, time is ticking

Post by randolph57 »

Try contacting Steve Hill on brickyard-he has my jx engine that i sold to him when i went TDI in 2012. It was a factory vw engine and had done 50000 miles when i removed it. May be worth a tentative enquiry as he needs funds so he can LPG his 2.1?
Engine was minus fuel pump exhaust manifold(required for tdi)and sump (metal afn fitted). Good luck

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

GTi - can be done in a weekend, you can get a donor for a song now.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

pierce

Post by pierce »

Thanks randolph I have pm'd Steve.

I spoke to the guy at RJES about what is involved in a Subaru conversion who was a very knowledgeable bloke. He can supply the parts that allow a Subaru engine to be bolted straight in. You just then need to have a loom made, which he can do and have an exhaust made; unfortunately he is booked up till early August for the loom work, I am thinking that this is the ideal way to go.

GTI sounds like a goer too does it bolt straight on or do you need need to buy a kit from somewhere? Is there an easy way to sort out the loom?
88 Westie 1.6TD

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

pierce wrote:
GTI sounds like a goer too does it bolt straight on or do you need need to buy a kit from somewhere? Is there an easy way to sort out the loom?

The engine bolts straight on to your gearbox so there's no adaption kit.

You can buy looms (I sell them).

You'll need an exhaust manifold and an air filter.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

pierce

Post by pierce »

Thanks Titus,

Steve, who Randolph suggested (thanks Randolph), came through and is sending me his jx, so that will hopefully get me through my hols.

Still tempted by a bit more power, might be a project for winter.
88 Westie 1.6TD