1.6 td oil level

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

quattrodave
80-90 Mem No: 15840

1.6 td oil level

Post by quattrodave »

I've had to renew the Turbo to sump oil return pipe today so had to drain the oil 1st. After having dipstick and oil level problems previously I ensured all oil was drained out, Turbo oil pipe off sump as well so pretty sure it was drained. I measured 4.5 litres into the sump, went for a run, let oil settle for 20 mins and the oil is only 5mm off the bottom of the dipstick and nowhere even near the min mark. The dipstick tube is spaced off the block with 3 washers so that will account for some of the discrepancy. Could the dipstick be short?
Are there other models the dipstick that might have been taken from ?
Not sure if I should stick more oil in to be sure but that could cause leaks and other issues.
Any ideas?
Cheers

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Re: 1.6 td oil level

Post by dave friday »

Is this a proper JX engine ( with the ally sump)? If so check that the plastic bit on the top of the dipstick tube is pushed home.
Don't put more oil in!
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

It's a JR engine actually, plastic bit is defo pushed home though Dave.
I guess I'll have to live with it and re-mark the dipstick, if the level drops off the end I'll know it's too low !

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Are you using the Jr dipstick and tube? The JX dipstick is a lot longer( inches) ( I just looked at the SB dipstick setup ).
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

quattrodave

Post by quattrodave »

I'm assuming it's the correct jx dipstick, it has the long bent tube with dipstick reached through the rear flap. Is there a measurement available for the dipstick and tube ?
Can anyone help?
Thanks