Bit of a dilemma - any thoughts?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

zzippyman
80-90 Mem No: 12294

Bit of a dilemma - any thoughts?

Post by zzippyman »

I bought a high mileage (c190k miles), 53-reg VW Golf Mk4 1.9Tdi (130) Estate in January 2015 as a cheap load carrier, only intending to use it for local journeys, fishing and dump runs, but soon found it's actually a remarkably economical, utterly reliable and nicely quick car that's been a joy to drive on many long journeys. Apart from the usual running costs (tyres etc., my son in law did the servicing for me), I've only chosen to spend money getting the cambelt changed in the time I've owned it. It's got bonnet chips, the usual car park dings and the start of rust bubbling on one wheel arch, but apart from that it's a tidy car that scrubs up well and is showing no signs of dying for a long time to come. So far so good right? Well yes, but my dilemma is that I need a bigger boot space so have bought a Passat estate I know to be just as good, meaning I'm now left with a couple of options and can't decide, do I: 1) Sell the Golf for what I can get for it quickly, or 2) Keep it and look into swapping the engine into my 1.9DG petrol T25 van?

Now I realise the cost of the swap might be restrictive for me as I'd have to pay to get it done (if it can be done that is), plus I know I'd be breaking up an otherwise good car that might be of good use to someone for years to come, but what to do? Any thoughts? Is the swap do-able? Or would the high mileage make it a daft idea? There's a tiny oil leak from somewhere, but it's truly a minor one...

If I'm honest, I'm guessing most here will suggest selling it, but I'm sure most of you will know how it is when you know you've got a goodun - heart ruling the head perhaps...sigh.

Cheers :?
Albert, 1987 1.9l dg petrol T25 Hi-top

richlaz
80-90 Mem No: 10937

Re: Bit of a dilemma - any thoughts?

Post by richlaz »

Personally, if I was looking to do an engine swap, I'd be looking at something with much lower mileage than 190k... Especially if you're going to pay someone else to do the work...

Have you considered a Subaru conversion?

Bit of info here... http://www.rjes.com/html/conversion_costs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1984 1.9 DG Westfalia Sport Joker

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

Lots of useful info in the T25 Alternative Engine Forum on here :)

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=194" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zzippyman

Post by zzippyman »

richlaz wrote:Personally, if I was looking to do an engine swap, I'd be looking at something with much lower mileage than 190k... Especially if you're going to pay someone else to do the work...

Have you considered a Subaru conversion?

Bit of info here... http://www.rjes.com/html/conversion_costs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for both of your replies, I'm inclined to agree with you about the high engine mileage, but what's made me less sure is that I know the Golf engine and it runs surprisingly well for the miles it's done - my head know's you're right of course, especially as I'd not be doing the work myself...

I don't need to swap the engine in the T25 as the DG runs well enough (albeit too slowly up hills), but I've thought about the Subaru conversion before, been on the RJES site, read all the forum talk and info on here about it too, and have been put off mainly by the thought of swapping for an engine I don't know. If I'd bought a Subaru as the cheap load carrier I needed in 2015 I'd probably have been able to make a decision more easily...

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

They are pretty good engines (I think the 130 is an ASZ). My only personal concern would be paying someone (a lot of dough) to swap an engine... then anything could happen afterwards, resulting in more expense.

However, saying that... it's not an unknown engine... you've had it for a couple of years and are happy with it's running condition... so why not? It's a much better position than buying an engine blind without knowing it's condition.

Would you take the opportunity to rebuild it before fitting into your van (new gaskets/seals, cleaning, maybe skimming etc)?

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Skimming?
nono4.gif
nono4.gif (3.63 KiB) Viewed 3055 times
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

richlaz

Post by richlaz »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Skimming?

Are you not a fan of skimming? :lol:

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

It's hard to move good cars on but sometimes, needs must. I'd Gumtree the Golf for what you bought it for (avoid the ebay time wasters) and when you're ready put a 2.1 bottom end in the bus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

richlaz wrote:
Oldiebut goodie wrote:Skimming?

Are you not a fan of skimming? :lol:

VW carefully state that diesel heads are not to be skimmed.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

zzippyman

Post by zzippyman »

Thanks guys, you've helped a lot here.

I'd already thought about getting a minor rebuild on the Golf's 130 ASZ before fitting as it made good sense, but after thinking some more about it today, I'm pretty sure the costs would spiral beyond what would be sensible - especially when compared with the cost for either the more common 2.1 engine swap or a Subaru conversion, both of which would give me a far lower mileage engine.

With that in mind, I'm leaning more towards DoubleOSeven's suggestion of Gumtreeing the car at the price I paid for it - he's right to say "It's hard to move good cars on, but sometimes needs must".

I'll have a think...

Cheers again guys :ok