AAZ Cold start system.

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T25Kernow
80-90 Mem No: 0

AAZ Cold start system.

Post by T25Kernow »

Hi I've just picked up a Golf MK3 with an AAZ engine in it. My plan is to run the car around my yard (no mot) get it starting and running right before I strip the engine out for the conversion. I may well rebuild it before it goes in the van. My van currently has a 1.6d so it should be a pretty straight forward swap.

First question. On the golf it has a cold start lever on the dash to add extra fuel/raise the revs when starting. What happens to this when I put the engine in the van? Do I need to run a cable up to the dash? or can I just set it in a fixed position?

Many more questions will follow as I get into this project!

Thanks

Ross

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: AAZ Cold start system.

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Haven't you got a cold start on the 1.6 already in place?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

T25Kernow
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by T25Kernow »

Will check later. When I bought the van the seller showed me a pull switch that he said affected the radiator and caused the engine to warm quicker.

So I guess that could acutually be the cold start on the pump? I've never needed to use it. So I've just left it alone.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

He was talking bullocks! The coldstart handle is on the bottom edge of the dash. I never needed to use it on a 1.6 either.
The thermostat on the engine makes the engine warm quicker on a watercooled engine.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶