Troubles in France, ej20!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Re: Troubles in France, ej20!

Post by slowcoach »

ajsimmo wrote:I'd stick a bottle of Wynn's Dry Fuel in the tank, just to rule it out. I've had a few vans in with similar symptoms, carb and injection, where water ingress has been the trouble. Usual place of ingress is a split rubber hose at filler neck, or the seal at the top of the filler breather pipe.
https://www.wynns.eu/product/dry-fuel_consumer/
PS Sounds magic! I'll definitely get some if I see it here
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

dandaz
80-90 Mem No: 659

Post by dandaz »

slowcoach wrote:
Could it be just remaining gunk or water in the tank, collected by the new filter? If so, think I can keep emptying it out when it goes bad? Not having a bootfull of filters, I wonder what's best way to clean them on the road, or is emptying ok? Worked today.. trying to stay off the motorways.

We're now just north of Caen, having aborted (temporarily) going further south just yet.

you can buy in line filters at most big supermarkets...

if it's clogged you have to try and flush petrol/carb cleaner through the filter in the opposite direction the petrol would normally travel...

I am near La rochelle ,if you decide to venture towards le south...
Member 659..

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

dandaz wrote:
you can buy in line filters at most big supermarkets...

if it's clogged you have to try and flush petrol/carb cleaner through the filter in the opposite direction the petrol would normally travel...

I am near La rochelle ,if you decide to venture towards le south...

Thanks dandaz, la Rochelle is our next stop all being well. E D I T: just seen you live there full time.I think filter is fine. Supermarket filters, would they be the small transparent type? This one is metal cased, much bigger.

A new pump is on its way to us and filter, we hope thisll be the end of it! (Other post in mechanical about the pump)

I have internet access now on a phone so all this information is getting easier to find at least ..
===================

dandaz

Post by dandaz »

Yes , just the plastic ones....

Good look ,I will keep an eye on the post just incase you need towing to my garden... :D

Btw bluming boiling down here... :mrgreen:
Member 659..

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

dandaz wrote:Yes , just the plastic ones....

Good look ,I will keep an eye on the post just incase you need towing to my garden... :D

Btw bluming boiling down here... :mrgreen:
:)

new pump fitted now and we seem to be in good shape. Just camping in le sables now, so just 30k or so north of la Rochelle. Onwards!
Good to know a friendly face is nearby though, it's appreciated ;-)
===================

dandaz

Post by dandaz »

more important a friend with a massive swimming pool ,big garden and car transporter... :D

watch out for the sun.... :ok
Member 659..

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

dandaz wrote:more important a friend with a massive swimming pool ,big garden and car transporter... :D

watch out for the sun.... :ok
Oo nice! I'll keep you in the address book then. Touch wood, all running well again. Yes it's like a bliddy pizza oven down here... Just arrived on to il de Rey to try and get some sea breeze...
===================

dandaz

Post by dandaz »

hows it going? :mrgreen:
Member 659..

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

dandaz wrote:hows it going? :mrgreen:
Good thanks! We're on Ile de re, loving it here :-) it's cooled a bit hasn't it, so things more easy. France isn't as cheap as it was a couple years ago, so eating out less etc, but still scooping up a few glasses of rose wherever we are ;-) heading to Bordeaux on Saturday though. Vans running a champ again, apart from a dicky ignition switch which I seem to go through fairly often for some reason ! Easy work around though ;-)

Thanks for the support backup!

We may visit the la Rochelle market on sat morning, if u think it's worth it?
===================

dandaz

Post by dandaz »

La rochelle is a lovely city ,well worth visiting ,there is a long stay big carpark and you can walk through a park to get to the city ...(hav'nt been on market day)

Bordeaux is lovely at nightime ,1 am people are still eating ,playing boules ,cycling etc...

ile de re is a bit touristy for me and this time of year far too many bikes :D and the prices of thing is very high ,but a lovely island ...

if you want to save 10 euros go on the b road (green) to Saintes ,the road is just as quick as the toll ,but would advise getting on the toll at saintes ,because the bordeaux old road is long ,but nice... :ok

All down the coast from ile de oleron is my best part of the region ,lots of beaches etc....and the big sand dunes etc...

where is west yorks are you from? (I am a Leeds lad)
Member 659..

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

dandaz wrote:La rochelle is a lovely city ,well worth visiting ,there is a long stay big carpark and you can walk through a park to get to the city ...(hav'nt been on market day)

Bordeaux is lovely at nightime ,1 am people are still eating ,playing boules ,cycling etc...

ile de re is a bit touristy for me and this time of year far too many bikes :D and the prices of thing is very high ,but a lovely island ...

if you want to save 10 euros go on the b road (green) to Saintes ,the road is just as quick as the toll ,but would advise getting on the toll at saintes ,because the bordeaux old road is long ,but nice... :ok

All down the coast from ile de oleron is my best part of the region ,lots of beaches etc....and the big sand dunes etc...

where is west yorks are you from? (I am a Leeds lad)
On the ferry home now, eventful trip! To top it all off the other day, We had a thud and a bang, with revs going all over the place. Looked underneath and it had blown a spark plug and lead right out of the right head! Thought that was only in cartoons ;-) I Think I was too cautious tightening it up when I swapped it 3 weeks ago? Anyway, amazingly the spare I had threaded back in nicely and all's well again. No trace of the old one! Am thankful it didn't fire out through the coolant tank which is right in the firing line...

We also had the exhaust bracketry crack and had it rewelded twice, which I haven't posted about.

Harrumph! Anyway made it !

Live in Todmorden now, but I'm from around Newcastle way. Cheers dandaz!
===================