Advice please - electrical issues

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Twodogs
80-90 Mem No: 2756

Advice please - electrical issues

Post by Twodogs »

Hi

I have a T25 Westy hitop fitted with a 1.9 tdi AFN - a Tim Shettle conversion in 2012.

I am having problems starting the van and when I connect a ODBii code scanner there is an error making the link.

There is also something drinking the battery, although I have th van checked out by Sparks autoelectricians in Bristol and they could not find anything.

Any advice really appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
I know I left it here some where

randolph57
80-90 Mem No: 5801

Re: Advice please - electrical issues

Post by randolph57 »

First point -Tim is still trading so might be the first point to start at especially as you are so close?
However:- I believe the OBDii port will have originally have been connected in the dash area probably around the cold start pull especially as the immobiliser transponder ring and associated 'box' will have been fitted there. There should then be a cable (look for a speaker type cable) running front to back to the ECU connection(K-line and immobiliser i think)-Its possible this has become degraded/detached under the van so no information can be read at the OBD port-does the van start and then stop after 1 second or so?
If this is the case the immobiliser is operating and may also be because the'chip' has been dislodged from the key although both would throw a fault code(if it could be read).

Battery drain can be narrowed down by placing a fluke or similar that reads current between the earth lead and battery negative post-any current draw is immediately obvious and relevant circuit can be determined by removing fuses until current reading tails down to near zero.

Again Tim would be the ideal place to start and I'm sure Syncroandy will put all the above waffle into 'electospeak' :lol:

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Cheers ! However from the description I'd say eliminating any possible low-battery voltage would be the starting point. Does the engine crank strongly but refuse to start, or is cranking weak ? If it was installed by Tim I'd assume he'd be happy to field enquiries in the first instance.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Twodogs
80-90 Mem No: 2756

Post by Twodogs »

Thanks guys, I sent Tim an email and he is on holiday until next week.

Hopefully once he's back I can get the van sorted fairly quickly.
I know I left it here some where