1.9 1y Diesel engine isssue

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Paul1981
80-90 Mem No: 0

1.9 1y Diesel engine isssue

Post by Paul1981 »

Hi,
I'm paul I'm new to the club 80-90 site and is a pleasure to be part of. I'm after some advice as my beloved T25 decided to break down yesterday on the way back from west bay and I'm hoping I can pick one of your brains to if I've a simple fix or a major issue! Basically what happen was I just came over the top of a large hill and suddenly I heard a loud boom from the engine bay and lost all power.I looked in my mirror and cars were at a stand still where the smoke was so dense. I managed to pull over straight away and when I turned the engine off it still ran by itself for a further 10 seconds. By the time the breakdown servive turned up I manage to check the oil of which there was plenty and coolant also and the temperature was also just above half way which I think is normal. So I started it to get it on the break down truck and all seemed fine, there was a tiny bit of smoke but nothing like when is came to a stop and there was any banging or rattling coming from the engine which I was worried about. Has anybody experienced a similar situation? Any advice I'd be grateful. Cheers

muttleypup

Re: 1.9 1y Diesel engine isssue

Post by muttleypup »

Have you checked all the air intake pipes/connections and the air filter box to see if something broke free or possibly collapsed? Had an issue with mine where rubber intake hose would collapse under heavy load like climbing long/steep hills and this resulted in a LOT of smoke and no power (no boom though!). if there is an intake issue then as for the run on it may have been just unburnt diesel still in the system that couldnt be burnt because of lack of air. Only other thing i can think of is excessive oil being forced into the air intake via the crank breather and this was then burnt as fuel when you switched off. Possibly too much oil in the engine - have a look in the airbox.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

Paul1981

Re: 1.9 1y Diesel engine isssue

Post by Paul1981 »

Hi, thanks for your reply and advice, much appreciated, I'll check everything you have mentioned and hope it results in finding the problem.