AAZ Smoking when Cold

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

AAZ Smoking when Cold

Post by Mark S »

Hi there, I have been running an AAZ (1.9 TD) since 2003. Previously, it used to smoke briefly on initial start-up but then run clean. However, last year, I had the engine rebuilt with a new head. A company also 'serviced' the pump, as it had started to drip fuel from the arm. Now, there is almost no smoke on start-up but I do notice a blue-ish haze upon acceleration when the engine is cold. This is most noticeable after sitting at traffic lights etc and then pulling away. After 10 minutes of motoring, this phenomenon is no longer apparent, leading me to believe that it is somehow related to the engine temperature.

Ideas I have had as to the cause include: turbo oil seals; fuelling issues. Is there something I should investigate? I am worried it will fail the emissions test if they do it from cold.
1987 Westy Joker

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: AAZ Smoking when Cold

Post by multisi »

Most likely the pump , my JX was really bad when cold, threw down a smokescreen then cleared up when warmed up. A recon turbo did not solve the problem.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon