Starter Motor problem

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

markysparky71
80-90 Mem No: 0

Starter Motor problem

Post by markysparky71 »

Hey All any advice welcome
81 westfalia 19AAZ engine replaced starter motor around 6 year ago. Lately had intermittent fault, usually at the worst time like a garage forecourt starter motor wouldn't work, clicking from rear vehicle nothing else this could occur even after a long run.
Start battery new and tested fully charged. Got sick of this so pullled the motor as suspected trigger wire was the issue. terminals were a little corroded so removed all cables and cleaned cables and terminals shiny again. trigger wire was annoyingly short to refit so I extended by a further 6 inches of same gauge cable with nice clean joints. Started first time off the key but motor was slow turning engine over. Started fine yesterday around 6 times got in this morning turned the key, sounds like the starter was turning slowly not engaging the engine though. Tried another 10 times or so burst in to life drove 10 mile without stopping got back home engine off. Turned key and nothing!! any ideas? new starter motor????
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: Starter Motor problem

Post by R0B »

Probably a faulty solenoid.Got a starter in the auto electrics place near me with a similar problem.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

markysparky71
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by markysparky71 »

Cheers Rob
you know any places where i can order new solonoid?
1981 westfalia 19 td aaz

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Best left to a local auto electrician IMO.(unless its my local one):-( But if you look at my post in the wanted section Irishkeet posted a link to a supplier that might help.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

randolph57
80-90 Mem No: 5801

Post by randolph57 »

I know you said you cleaned all cables but have you checked condition of earth strap? Wouldn't hurt to check resistance of this item especially if still in original position at front of gearbox.