Best alternative to a 1.6 TD for towing and hills

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sparkiekitty
80-90 Mem No: 15385

Best alternative to a 1.6 TD for towing and hills

Post by sparkiekitty »

Hi,

The 1.6 TD engine in my Holdsworth conversion 1990 T25 is on it's last legs and I thought I'd take the chance to upgrade. I'll be taking it to a garage and leaving her to their tender ministrations as I don't have the skills to attempt this myself. I have looked into a Subaru conversion (115 bhp petrol) and 1.9 TD conversion (84 bhp). The alternative is the 1.9 TDi, but that will cost another £1500 or so due to the gearbox mods needed.

I wondered if anyone could give me any advice on which engine to go for, please. I don't want to get a new engine and then realise that it won't do what I need. Is the TDi a lot more powerful than the 1.9 TD and worth scraping together the extra money for? Or will the 1.9 TD suffice?

I need the ability to go up hill and I would very much like the ability to tow a 1200 cc motorbike (250kg).

I'm not worried about speed ... that's for the folks behind to deal with :) ) I just want to be sure that she's going to get me up any hill I put in front of her. We do very little motorway driving, but like to be in the countryside and the hills. At the moment when the revs drop below 2000 she dies, so unless I get a run up and maintain momentum I'm never sure she's getting to the top. When I back out of my drive I have to get the revs up and do it in one hit because if I stop part way she won't get going again. It's important because I'm in recovery after a bad spell of agoraphobia and I really need to have confidence in my bus. I bought her to help me regain my confidence being away from home, but the worry that we'll come to a hill she can't manage is stopping me from going places.

Also, my other half has a 1200cc BMW motorbike and we'd like to take that away with us on holiday. TBH we've not tried towing with her, but I know her previous owner said she struggled to tow one of those tiny caravans and with her struggles to get up hills and slow acceleration, I don't think she would be up to it.

Any help / advice / experience of any of the above engines would be brilliant.

Cheers :D

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Best alternative to a 1.6 TD for towing and hills

Post by Titus A Duxass »

A 2,0l GTi petrol conversion would probably meet your requirements.
Ooodles of power for a relatively low cost and you can still use your gearbox.

I have no experience with towing but can't see it being a problem.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

sparkiekitty
80-90 Mem No: 15385

Re: Best alternative to a 1.6 TD for towing and hills

Post by sparkiekitty »

:ok