subaru power steering

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

subaru power steering

Post by slowcoach »

just idling and wondering how to make my time even more scarce..

has anyone added power sterring to their 2wd non-power steering van, with subaru conversion? is it costly? i think the power steering racks are pretty expensive right?

or is it very simple :) :rofl yea right!
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: subaru power steering

Post by Aidan »

I used the vw rack and front uprights and we fabricated the connections from the Subaru pipework to use std hydraulic hoses between front and rear, the Subaru pump works the vw system fine as similar systems and pressures
I still have the Scooby rack from the legacy but as rhd car the input to the rack faces the rear on the right side and it is mounted 90' relative to the vw rack, you might be able to flip it and use a rhd rack on a lhd t3 and vice versa but I suspect it would be quite hard to do well otherwise everyone would have done it

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

thanks aidan, thats interesting. I dont think id use a subaru rack as its probably beyond me fabrication wise, but if a rhd power steering vw rack became available id try and follow it up. id rather long rubber hoses than the vw metal ones for sure...
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

Going to put electric power steering in mine at some point