Help with stalling issue on Subaru conversion!

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Help with stalling issue on Subaru conversion!

Post by mariner »

Hi all, any help on this would be great - pulling my hair out with it right now! :?

I bought my van (an EJ22 conversion) last May/June. About 3/4 months ago it began stalling occasionally when dropping from 3rd to 2nd and onto the clutch - at junctions or coming to a stop in traffic etc. Very occasional and with no pattern, sometimes it wouldn't do it for a week or so then it'd happen 2/3 times in a 25 minute journey.

Last week it got ridiculous and happened 10/15 times over a couple of 25 minute drives to work - each time it didn't start doing it until after 10 minutes or so of the journey, but once it did it did it every time I came down the gears from 3rd to 2nd. Took it to my local garage who know T25s well but the Subaru bit not so well. They diagnosed the cam sensor and changed it. It's since stalled a single time on each of four separate journeys - two very short (3/4 minutes) and then the usual 25min drive to and from work. Loads better than 10/15 times the other day but still stalling! :(

If anyone has any suggestions or knows anyone in the Bristol area who works on the Subaru conversion and could point me in their direction that would be great.

Cheers
John
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Help with stalling issue on Subaru conversion!

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

My daughter's Punto had the same sort of thing when it got hot - it was a crankshaft sensor that went out of spec when it got warm. Is there any other like sensors that could do the same? All that I can offer. (they may well have been on the right track)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

air filter condition ?

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

do you have any fault codes stored ?

mariner

Post by mariner »

Cheers guys. No fault codes stored as far as I know. Speed sensor has been mentioned to me. It doesn't have one currently. If this was the issue wouldn't it have been a problem since install rather than creeping up on me like this? And be more consistent as a fault?!

Aidan
Trader

Post by Aidan »

whose is the conversion ?

mariner

Post by mariner »

Not been able to find that out. Have a hand written receipt for the engine and a doc certifying it's safe installation from an independent garage but no receipt for the install itself. Also have a doc that outlines what has been done (wiring loom stripped etc) but it doesn't indicate who did it! Confident it's a decent install. I guess issues like this are par for the course with conversions.

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

Will be the speed sensor causing the problem ,, ie ,you need one to tell the ecu your not moving or they tend to stall

I'm also in Bristol and better with Scoobs than the vw side lol , pm me if you want to pop round for a chat and a look :ok

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

My 3.3 has a stalling problem, only happens when its warmed up, happens when slowing down, i have changed lots of things inc ecu but no luck. Have tried plugging nps wire together but seems worse like that. The other uk 3.3 conversions people have done seem fine from what ive heard. Its been like this for years.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Domino

Post by Domino »

multisi wrote:My 3.3 has a stalling problem, only happens when its warmed up, happens when slowing down, i have changed lots of things inc ecu but no luck. Have tried plugging nps wire together but seems worse like that. The other uk 3.3 conversions people have done seem fine from what ive heard. Its been like this for years.

Idle control valve will be helping things till its warmed up ,, sounds like you also need a speed sensor aswell :ok

multisi

Post by multisi »

I have the speed sensor fitted, have changed air flow meter, igniter, ecu, but no difference. only happens when fully warmed up. I have read on usa forums people having problems due to ecu being from auto car .There is a company over there that do an ecu retune but if it was that the conversions in the uk would have the same stalling problem. My conversion has a very short exhaust system, i have a pair of audi silencers one behind each wheel so only a short merged pipe with a sensor each side, could the short system cause the stalling ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Domino

Post by Domino »

multisi wrote:I have the speed sensor fitted, have changed air flow meter, igniter, ecu, but no difference. only happens when fully warmed up. I have read on usa forums people having problems due to ecu being from auto car .There is a company over there that do an ecu retune but if it was that the conversions in the uk would have the same stalling problem. My conversion has a very short exhaust system, i have a pair of audi silencers one behind each wheel so only a short merged pipe with a sensor each side, could the short system cause the stalling ?

Wouldn't of thought it was the exhaust , mines a turbo conversion but I bet my exhaust is shorter than yours lol , iv got about 6 inches of 3" pipe as my exhaust and mine doesn't stall at all ,, air leak perhaps ? ,,, the maf and lambda are normally quite good at working stuff out between them for it to idel ok so there maybe a air leak between them ,,, but iv also read about the auto conversions being harder to sort out and this could defo be the issue just not sure why

Not sure a remap would sort the problem but they can remove unneeded stuff from the ecu and disconnect sensors inside via there software ,, but like I said normally stalling issues are due to a fault rather than needing to be tuned (mapped)

multisi

Post by multisi »

Its the fact that it stalls only when fully warmed up that is strange,it will start up again quickly after the stall, idles nicely and goes well !

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

My beetle had that issue and it was solved with the rjes speed sensor. Simple fix and not that expensive assuming your problem is also the speed sensor!

multisi

Post by multisi »

Maybe the speed sensor i have is faulty. I would like to know more about the nps - neutral parking switch set up, i was told if the wires are plugged together the problem would go away but it was worse.