Can't change gear

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

bidbid14
80-90 Mem No: 0

Can't change gear

Post by bidbid14 »

I'm having a shocking run of bad luck with my van at the moment. Any advice will be very gratefully received.

I was having starting problems so with the help of youtube and this site I removed starter motor, checked it, replaced it, cleaned all cables, connectors etc. - put it all back together and it started!! Brilliant - Job done!

Thought I would take it for a spin - it wouldn't go into gear.
with the engine not running it goes into gear no problems - it goes into gear with or without the clutch depressed.
start it up and it won't go in again.
I put it in gear and started the engine with the clutch depressed and I was able to drive it round the block in first ( much to the annoyance of the cars behind :D ). Got some speed up and managed to go through the gears up into 5th at 30mph. Had to stop at the end of the road and couldn't get it into 1st again.

The clutch feels normal when pressing it in.
Have I done something wrong when messing with the starter motor?? Could it be that the clutch has gone??

Any advice gratefully received - thanks

Craig
white, H reg, 1990 California pop top , 1.9TD AAZ

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Re: Can't change gear

Post by Mr Bean »

My first thoughts are that it sounds like the clutch is dragging. If your gear changes were accompanied by some unpleasant noises that would re-enforce this diagnosis. (Synchromesh gearboxes do enable almost silent clutchless gear changes if performed by an experienced and sensitive driver once on the move.)
I guess inadequate fluid or excessive lost movement in the mechanism/cable could be causing the clutch not to disconnect the drive completely. Depending on type it could be possible to take up the slack enabling more depression of the clutch diaphragm. A small thing like seized first motion to flywheel bearing could cause the clutch to drag although I have never seen this.
Gone - burnt out - clutches normally just slip and smell bad as a parting gift leaving you in a permanent neutral so to speak.
Difficult to connect with the starter work though...
More responses soon no doubt.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

pirate-pete
80-90 Mem No: 7945

Post by pirate-pete »

You don't say what engine you have but on my diesel to get the starter out, I need to loosen off the bracket holding the clutch slave cylinder to the engine/bellhousing. Pretty sure from memory this is because they share a bolt. Check that area and if possible get someone to press the clutch pedal while you watch at the slave to make sure it is operating the clutch lever on the side of the bell housing. Could be the slave rod has jumped out of alignment when the starter removed.
1983 Westy Joker HighTop, 1Z TDI Conversion

ChrisTriple
80-90 Mem No: 12111

Post by ChrisTriple »

I
My first thought is the slate cylinder :ok
84 Devon Sunrise PopTop, DF. Campershack LPG.
Full Body resto completed 04-17

http://www.T25Camper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Is the slate cylinder on the roof.:-)
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

R0B wrote:Is the slate cylinder on the roof.:-)
yes next to the chimney pipe
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

bidbid14

Post by bidbid14 »

thanks for the replies.

I think you're onto something with the slave cylinder. It was a 1.6TD JX but that blew up last year so it's a 1.9TD AAZ now.
I did wonder what the bell shaped thing was that's attached to the starter motor.

I had trouble getting it back on so gave it a few taps with the old calibrated hammer. Was that a mistake??

So... has anyone got any advice on trouble shooting/fixing a slave cyilinder :( - (youtube here I come)

getting there slowly...

Cheers

ChrisTriple
80-90 Mem No: 12111

Post by ChrisTriple »

R0B wrote:Is the slate cylinder on the roof.:-)
:rofl
84 Devon Sunrise PopTop, DF. Campershack LPG.
Full Body resto completed 04-17

http://www.T25Camper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Slave cylinder?
Just change it for a quality one
Use Brickwerks.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

If the slate cylinder is not leaking try bleeding it first, binacle cover off and make sure you have enough brake fluid in the reservoir, release clutch bleed nipple preferably after attaching a pipe and jar underneath, it may bleed it's self slowly but several pedal presses are easier, check reservoir and top up, tighten nipple, job done.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

pirate-pete wrote:You don't say what engine you have but on my diesel to get the starter out, I need to loosen off the bracket holding the clutch slave cylinder to the engine/bellhousing. Pretty sure from memory this is because they share a bolt. Check that area and if possible get someone to press the clutch pedal while you watch at the slave to make sure it is operating the clutch lever on the side of the bell housing. Could be the slave rod has jumped out of alignment when the starter removed.

I'd agree with this, mine's a diesel (1Y) and yes the starter and slave share a mounting bolt. IF (?) it all worked fine prior to removing the starter then i'd be looking at how the slave has been 'remounted' first before panicking about new parts or even bleeding it.
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y

bidbid14

Post by bidbid14 »

Yep, sounds like I've put it back together wrong. It was fine before I took it off.

cheers

bidbid14

Post by bidbid14 »

fixed it!
I had put it back together wrong - slave cylinder bracket then the starter motor instead of the other way around. So the starter motor wasn't sitting flush and I guess the slave cylinder was slightly out of place so not working properly.

Took me a good half hour of staring at it to realise.

cheers for your help!!

muttleypup

Post by muttleypup »

Good news! Always nice when it costs nowt to fix it :)
1987 single cab pickup 1.9 1Y