Best recon engine supplier?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Best recon engine supplier?

Post by clift_d »

Do you want someone to do the conversion or do you just want an engine? Your original question seemed to imply you were just looking for an engine.

If you want someone to do the conversion then obviously the quality of the work will depend on what you want to spend. The cost of a properly remanufactured diesel long block engine from AW Engineering, without ancillliaries, will be more on its own than that eBay listing above, so you have to wonder what those eBay boys would be shoving in your van for your money.

If you really want it done properly then one of the places I'd recommend calling is CoastVW.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

On Coast website it says they get their engines from a third party. I wonder who they use?
Honorary "Dave" 

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

CoastVW replaced our JX engine last year, as an insurance job due to damage caused by water in the fuel, and I know this was done using a remanufactured unit from AW Engineering.

dave friday
80-90 Mem No: 5533

Post by dave friday »

Clift,hi,how did you find out there was water in the fuel?
And how did you do an insurance claim for the above?
Ta.
I dont think, so I'm not[do I exist?]
1992 1600td [ jx ] syncro panel van[leisuredrive camper ]

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

When the tank was drained it had a large quantity of water in it, more than could have come from hygroscopic action and so the view of the insurance assessor was water-contaminated-diesel from a garage, which the insurers were prepared to cover. The fuel also had a lot of diesel bug in it. The overall effect of this diesel-water-diesel-bug soup on the engine was pretty catastrophic - the cylinder linings had all corroded and worn away to the point at which we had almost no compression, the injection pump was corroded and full of diesel bug, and the injectors were fubar. The insurance assessor reckoned the damage probably occurred over a period of six to nine months from the water initially getting in the tank.

Alongside our new engine we now have a Racor 500fg fuel filter fitted with a 10 micron filter cartridge - a bit overkill but good peace of mind, and we also now use Marine16 fuel additive. We are still unfortunately intercepting some water at the filter but it now doesn't get the chance to cause any damage.

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

Very interesting,have you got some sort of engine insurance?
I must look at fitting a water in fuel light[makes the glow plug light come on]

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

No special engine insurance - it was under a standard comprehensive policy. The argument was that the vehicle had been damaged by the negligence of others, no different than if somebody had driven into it while it was parked at the side of the road.

I'm not sure how you'd fit a water warning light in the tank, but there is a sensor option for the fuel filter we've fitted, which we may yet add at a later date.

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

I thought I had filled up with water contaminated petrol, but it was a rusted top to the tank plus a drive down a wet M6.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

Sir Brixalot
80-90 Mem No: 8927

Post by Sir Brixalot »

clift_d wrote:When the tank was drained it had a large quantity of water in it, more than could have come from hygroscopic action and so the view of the insurance assessor was water-contaminated-diesel from a garage, which the insurers were prepared to cover. The fuel also had a lot of diesel bug in it. The overall effect of this diesel-water-diesel-bug soup on the engine was pretty catastrophic - the cylinder linings had all corroded and worn away to the point at which we had almost no compression, the injection pump was corroded and full of diesel bug, and the injectors were fubar. The insurance assessor reckoned the damage probably occurred over a period of six to nine months from the water initially getting in the tank.

Alongside our new engine we now have a Racor 500fg fuel filter fitted with a 10 micron filter cartridge - a bit overkill but good peace of mind, and we also now use Marine16 fuel additive. We are still unfortunately intercepting some water at the filter but it now doesn't get the chance to cause any damage.

Diesel bug! Had to check it wasn't still april 1st. Good to know about MW, 15 minutes down the road from me and I'd never heard of them
Honorary "Dave" 

dave friday

Post by dave friday »

I got it a bit wrong..VW do/did a kit [to show that there is water in the fuel filter] you have to fit a red indicator next to the cold start lever and a sensor on the fuel filter.

clift_d

Post by clift_d »

Sir Brixalot wrote:Diesel bug! Had to check it wasn't still april 1st.

Agreed - it sounds a bit far fetched, but you should've seen what came out of the injection pump - it looked like wallpaper paste! There's a magazine test comparing different diesel fuel treatments here.

djswain1
80-90 Mem No: 15611

Post by djswain1 »

Diesel bug is very real been a problem in the leisure Marine industry for years. It grows at the interface between the water and diesel in the tank where there is oxygen present. When the bug (micro organisms) die they form a slime or jelly like substance which is what blocks fuel fittings & filters. It is not usually a problem in a regularly used vehicle as the fuel is constantly moving around its when the vehicle is stationary for any period it is likely to grow. The use of biodiesel added to road fuel is likely to increase its prevalence.

It is more of a problem in

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Bessie the bus- 1987 Holdswoth Vision 1.9DG auto with VW factory hitop