1.9DG - AEF parts list

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oliverriddett
80-90 Mem No: 13563

1.9DG - AEF parts list

Post by oliverriddett »

Hey fellow lunatics. Is anybody able to source me a list of exactly what I need for the said swap and where to find them? All help will be very much appreciated :) thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 7 Berth Super Viking 2.0 GTI (AGG)

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Re: 1.9DG - AEF parts list

Post by DoubleOSeven »

What's an AEF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

1.9. Sameish as 1Y but with dipstick in wrong place.

colinthefox
80-90 Mem No: 16447

Post by colinthefox »

Have a look at this thread on BY

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... 52595.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It describes the conversion from a 1.6 diesel, but should help.

In addition to the bits mentioned in that thread you will need diesel engine bars and mounts, bellhousing, flywheel, spigot bearing, clutch and slave cylinder, fuel filter with flow and return pipes, wiring, relay and box for the glow plugs. Modify the engine wiring loom. A non return valve for the brake vacuum, glow plug light for the dashboard, different circuit behind the dash for buzzer of doom. The battery will ideally need to be mounted in the engine compartment, and a new main cable from the battery to the fusebox at the front. Air intake pipe and elbows, and a means of connection to the air filter box (or a complete intake system off a 1.6 diesel). A special exhaust system to connect to the AEF exhaust manifold plus mounts etc. The front gearbox mount will probably need to be changed or modified. Diesel throttle cable (and modified too). I'm not sure if the petrol tank can be re-used, or if the rubber grommets, pipes etc will be suitable for diesel fuel. All coolant hoses.

I'm sure I've forgotten something in that list.................

It's much, much easier to convert an existing diesel than a petrol. To get all these parts it makes sense to buy a diesel scrapper to rob all the bits off. These conversion parts will cost a fair bit on eBay, cos the sellers know they are in demand. Even so it is a BIG project you're undertaking there.

Good luck!
1.9D (AEF) pop-top. Aaaaahhhhh........that's better.

boatbuilder
80-90 Mem No: 8265

Post by boatbuilder »

I'm doing a conversion at the moment to the AEF from the 1.6d CS. All I needed to buy was a spigot bearing and new flywheel bolts.
Also replacing the clutch, timing belt, water pump and crank seal while I'm at it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
1984 1.9D (AEF Code) T25 tintop

oliverriddett
80-90 Mem No: 13563

Post by oliverriddett »

thanks for all of your help guys. Ive decided to put my money into an AAZ as it was readily available with just 120k on it. I now need to source the petrol - diesel parts and a five speed box.

All the best fellas!
1989 7 Berth Super Viking 2.0 GTI (AGG)

Stovies
80-90 Mem No: 16295

Post by Stovies »

Hi Colinthefox.
I have read the large and excellent post and I would like to ask a few questions regarding the engine set up. I too have a diesel conversion and is very similar to yours but I have an annoying leak which is coming from a modified air box. Now on your set up the air box which is connected to the left hand side of the engine looks in good order. was is cut down underneath to fit in with the engine mounting frame?
I will try and upload a better picture if i can tonight.

Thanks
Stovies
1980 Super viking with a 1.9 Polo Diesel conversion

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Stovies wrote: Now on your set up the air box which is connected to the left hand side of the engine looks in good order. was is cut down underneath to fit in with the engine mounting frame?

No, it hasn't been cut down. It is the original bog standard 1.6CS air box, on the original 1.6 inlet manifold, just fettled a little as shown.
It does get a bit close to the left hand side of the engine bay, as the 1.9 engine is about 12mm taller than the 1.6. So I modified the left side with a big hammer, and used all the adjustment on the engine mounts to move the engine a couple of mm to the right.

I'd be interested to see a picture.

Stovies

Post by Stovies »

I hope this is a picture of the underside of the air box
http://ibb.co/nCokY6
https://ibb.co/cidr6R
https://ibb.co/f2JPRR
Top of air box and veiw of engine. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Looks like the air box that came with the AEF engine, cut down to fit. Not much chance of getting a good seal on that, and it doesn't have a sealed inlet duct from the snorkel in the rear quarter.
I would think the best thing would be to swap it for a CS manifold and air box, then connect that with a piece of silicone air ducting to the snorkel if it's still fitted. The CS manifold will need some minor fettling to improve airflow, as the ports don't quite match.

Stovies

Post by Stovies »

Thanks.so I need to find a scrappy that I can ask for an cs air manifold. That can be a bit of a problem and most of them now want a reg from that car so they can match it up. But being a doner engine that's is a pain so is there a better way to ask find the part.
I also have a problem in starting the engine. I have to give it 3 to 4 hits with the glow plugs to get it to life.

I am so glad of you post I was able to find out what a part was on the injectors as I was going crazy as was getting nowhere.
Stovies

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Stovies wrote: Is there a better way to ask find the part?

You could try a wanted ad on this forum.

As for the starting problem, it could be the timing is too far retarded, and/or it may be that the commencement of injection solenoid which advances the injection isn't connected. Have a read of the Brickyard thread again and look for the bit about this solenoid. Try connecting the [E D I T] grey/yellow [/E D I T] wire to +12V (make sure the ground wire is also connected) when you start it from cold, and leave it connected for about twenty seconds after starting and you might be OK. If it won't start when hot you will need a 600ohm resistor in the glow plug relay temperature sender wire, Again read the BY thread carefully for this one. The engine won't start properly without these two tweaks.

Stovies

Post by Stovies »

I've Actually printed it off so I can read in depth at home (sad I know) :oops:
once I get time I will have a better look as I was intrigued with a few things i.e the 600 ohm resistor but I will have to read up on that as I have never done anything like this before.
Its a real hotch potch set up as I have traced wires that go from red to blue and then black so its a nightmare for me.
But thanks for the guidance.

Stovies

colinthefox

Post by colinthefox »

Stovies wrote:Its a real hotch potch set up.

It does have a spigot bearing, doesn't it?

Stovies

Post by Stovies »

. Also So on the continuing saga of my Elly not starting very well. I've checked all the things that should be connected are connected but I've noticed that I have air in the return line. Is this normal.