conversion parts - new v 2nd hand

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Goldfeesh

conversion parts - new v 2nd hand

Post by Goldfeesh »

Hi everyone,

Im in the process of converting my 2.1 to a 2.5 subaru. I have been offered the subaru bell housing second hand. New they cost 470 from rjes, I've been offered the 2nd hand one for 360.

Has anyone got any experience of buying these 2nd hand? Is it worth paying the extra to get new? I think I'm swaying towards new atm just for the guarantees you have buying from a business when the price difference is only 110 quid. Any thoughts?

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Re: conversion parts - new v 2nd hand

Post by Dazco »

I bought the engine support bar 2nd hand and saved a few quid , everything else new from rjes.
Had great service off him and had a good chat about the conversion when I picked everything up .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Goldfeesh wrote:Hi everyone,

Im in the process of converting my 2.1 to a 2.5 subaru. I have been offered the subaru bell housing second hand. New they cost 470 from rjes, I've been offered the 2nd hand one for 360.

Has anyone got any experience of buying these 2nd hand? Is it worth paying the extra to get new? I think I'm swaying towards new atm just for the guarantees you have buying from a business when the price difference is only 110 quid. Any thoughts?

What's wrong with the 2.1?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

I brought my turbo bell housing (slightly more expensive) and gear box spline second hand and can't see what difference buying it new would of made ,,, Richard Is a very nice chap and willing to help out with whatever he can and his kits make fitting very easy ,, having never worked on a very before that side of things was all new to me and I still found it very easy to do with Richards kit :ok

Goldfeesh

Post by Goldfeesh »

what2do wrote:
Goldfeesh wrote:Hi everyone,

What's wrong with the 2.1?

Was removed before I got the van.