aaz wont run right

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Lclarkk
80-90 Mem No: 0

aaz wont run right

Post by Lclarkk »

Hey folks!
Just finished a jx to aaz swap. Done before with no problems .. but this time using the jx pump so it fits in nice in the bay!
Can't get the thing to run right, it's driving me mad!
As it is I have jx pump and 155bar injectors. Takes a while to start from cold (timing to retarded??) and can stumble a bit or be a bit wobbly when driving in low rpms
Timing is set to 1mm lift at tdc. Have tried all sorts from 0.80 to 1+ beyond 1mm can starts getting noisy, like to advanced noisy. Checked checked and rechecked timing flywheel cam and pump all good...

Also tried, although ran bad, aaz delivery valves and two stage injectors/ two stage injectors with jx valves/ 130bar injectors/ adjusting fuel screw with no noticeable change

Oh and compression 28/30/30/29 bars so seems healthy enough
Any suggestions?

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: aaz wont run right

Post by ZsZ »

The 1.6 JX pump wont supply the needed fuel to 1.9 AAZ. The Camplate is lower, so the injected quantity is less.
left is 1.6, right is 1.9
source: http://vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php/topic,12344.30.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can ask a pump builder to fit the JX LDA on the AAZ pump, but it is easier (and cheaper) to cut the lid and use bent levers:
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/aaz-gtd-m- ... cover.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/aaz-gtd-1y ... evers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

I have read a lot of people say this and it makes sense, understand it.. but seems theres an equal amount of people out there that are running the jx pump without notable problems

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Having done everything you've done so far without curing the problem, I'd be inclined to fit the aaz pump, if only to see if it is the problem. If it runs well, then look at swapping the LDA setup if you wish, but I'd stick with the original, and use the Brickwerks engine lid plate and throttle arm. Which inlet manifold did you use?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

Well before starting on other things this morning swapped in the 1.9td injectors and pump on it to get it out the way. The thing won't run at all now! Pushed it out of the way for now! Like the timing is out still but clearly not.
Maybe take the head of and have a look see but has good compression don't don't know i'll find anything

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

Scratch last post it runs on the 1.9td pump and injectors! just the glow plug fuse had gone pop. Must have gone just this morning, had 12v at the plugs yesterday

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

So the vans off and running with the aaz pump, still, when i can would like to swap in the jx pump.
Can i just swap in the aaz camplate into the jx pump or there more to it than that?

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

Nobody know?

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

My aaz has been running a standard jx pump for the last 40k miles, it runs spot on and pulls well, the pump can't really keep up with running 1 bar of boost without the tick over hanging.
I will be building a hybrid pump with a 10mn head as I want to run 100-110 hp, if your happy with the standard power or only want a little more then a good jx pump will keep up fine.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

I think you should put the camplate, shim, plunger, high pressure head (all high pressure related stuff) to the JX pump from AAZ. But not sure if the K (or KF dunno) setting (plunger resting hollow distance or what) will be good.
You may set it up by new shim at the camplate to AAZ spec.
Maybe easier to switch the lids of the pumps or just the throttle arm.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

Update.
Back on this van today.
Shes running well on jx pump and standard 155 injectors. Drove nice but rough idle at warm.
Ive advanced and retarded the pump seems it was good where it was. So moved to the fuel screw. Wind it in and it runs smoother but obviously idle goes up, and doesnt come back to idle very fast once i let throttle off.. sometimes will just stay accelerated slightly
Ideas anybody?

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

Problem solved now

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

HOW!
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

"Problem solved" is not much use to anyone.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

Lclarkk

Post by Lclarkk »

Well over lunch was thinking the ilde reminds me of another van of mine which is tdi'd and used to have the evry mod. If i wound the resistor right up the idle would get rougher and rougher because too much fuel...
soo after lunch went back to this van and played with the fuel screw, wound it out, idle got worse and worse but nothing to loose kept turning. then eventually after enough turns the idle dropped back to normal and smoothed out nice. Drove well, let it cool down started and ran well from cold.
So seems it was as simple as that after all! I had played with this screw before but as i thought it was an un messed with pump i didnt want to wonder too far from where it was set. So there we go touch wood she stays good!