Short trips

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Short trips

Post by nicq »

This is not just VW related but anybody with a modern diesel fitted to there van or if you have another make and do a lot of short trips they clog up. This causes poor startiing DPR light comming on and reduced MPG. My Toyota and the VW eos I had before both suffered from this, to clear them out you need to do a Very long trip.
Is there any adative or a quick solution to the problem.
Last edited by nicq on 09 Jan 2017, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
2.1 Twin slider

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Re: Shot trips

Post by MGP »

In short, the dpf collects all of the particulates (mostly caused by the egr system), the only way for the dpf to clean itself out (regenerate) is to set itself alight and get very hot, it needs to reach around 650 degrees C, it cannot do this under normal driving conditions so once the ecu sees that the conditions are right it will start injecting diesel whilst the exhaust valve is open so that the diesel is burnt in the exhaust increasing the temperature, once the dpf is up to temperature it needs to remain at temperature for around 45 mins.
The only permanent work around is to remove the internals of the dpf and get the ecu reprogrammed to ignore the pressure sensors either side of the dpf, at present there is no way of testing the dpf for the mot and the requirement for the dpf as far as the mot is concerned is that it has not been visually tampered with.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes the trade doesn't like to make too much fuss about it as it kind of offsets one of of the main advantages with diesel engines. This together with the fact that diesel engines really need a turbo to have any kind of performance persuades me to stick with petrol until something better comes along. Which probably won't be in my lifetime!

Modern automotive diesel engines seem to require as much instrumentation, monitoring and control systems as nuclear power stations to keep them within emission specs.

Incidentally I spent my formative time in life living in London commuting in electric trolley buses and the introduction of the diesel Routemasters with their puke making unburnt fuel oil smell and sickness inducing tick over vibration created in me a hate for the diesel engine which stays with me to this day. Maybe I am just a tad biased
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

blacky
80-90 Mem No: 11413

Post by blacky »

Citizen Smith wrote:Yes the trade doesn't like to make too much fuss about it as it kind of offsets one of of the main advantages with diesel engines. This together with the fact that diesel engines really need a turbo to have any kind of performance persuades me to stick with petrol until something better comes along. Which probably won't be in my lifetime!

Modern automotive diesel engines seem to require as much instrumentation, monitoring and control systems as nuclear power stations to keep them within emission specs.

Incidentally I spent my formative time in life living in London commuting in electric trolley buses and the introduction of the diesel Routemasters with their puke making unburnt fuel oil smell and sickness inducing tick over vibration created in me a hate for the diesel engine which stays with me to this day. Maybe I am just a tad biased
CS
:wink: know where you're coming from on that score

Moonrakers
80-90 Mem No: 13705

Post by Moonrakers »

Citizen Smith wrote:Yes the trade doesn't like to make too much fuss about it as it kind of offsets one of of the main advantages with diesel engines. This together with the fact that diesel engines really need a turbo to have any kind of performance persuades me to stick with petrol until something better comes along. Which probably won't be in my lifetime!

CS

I'm with you entirely - diesel's a curse, not a blessing. My Dad began my hatred of it, sadly. Initially he had one of the very first UK Golf GT!'s as a company motor, a fantastic car in every way that started my affection for VW's, but he did a lot of private mileage and he disliked the fuel bills. He chopped it in for another Golf with that horrible tiny 1.6 NA diesel... hero to zero overnight! It stank, it sounded terrible, it made the neighbours point and scowl because of the filthy the smoke and it was horrendously slow. My Dad loved it, he took it round the clock one and a half times in a few years with no problems and saved a lot of money, but I came to the conclusion that diesels were fake cars for tight people and I'd never own one.
Current VW: 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop-top, 1.9 DG, 5-Speed