Passat 20v NA or Subaru 2.0EJ?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mickandsej
80-90 Mem No: 15455

Passat 20v NA or Subaru 2.0EJ?

Post by Mickandsej »

I've been put first in the queue for a pretty much plug&play EJ from a friend's buggy, 'just' need the Adaptor plates, manifolds, exhaust etc. Known engine in good order. Loom already modded and waterproofed.
But my father in law is about to hang up his keys to a 1998 Passat 20v non turbo. Is it a better proposition? No doubt some fiddling to do but another known engine and the time and space to strip the loom...
Currently running 4spd DG.
2002 Toyota Previa micro camper, 2021 Jeep Renegade 3 pot, 1992 Fiat Ducato Murvi LWB hi top

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Re: Passat 20v NA or Subaru 2.0EJ?

Post by axeman »

the only acceptable way to install an agn (1.8 20v) engine in my opinion is upright and that has its own issues unless you have a doka like me. it is a nice engine that develops it power quite high in the rev range but it suites the gearing very well. and your not going to damage your gear box with it.

i made some comparisions between the ej22 and the agn on the thread below.

basic pros and cons list

vw cheap and easy to source,
vw parts alot cheaper and easyer to get hold off
vw better mpg but less power
vw keeps it german
both quite easy to install howerver the suburu has been done many more times and the whole convershion is pritty much of the shelf. vw not so mush in fact i dont know of another agn install.
suburu is a better drive overall in my opinion.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

The 2.0 EJ would be a good move , lots of cheap 2.0 subaru engines for sale if you have problems with that one. The 2.2 would be better but not so easy to get hold of now, everybody wants them.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

Mickandsej
80-90 Mem No: 15455

Post by Mickandsej »

Thank you guys for your replies. I did perceive the engine might have to go upright and clearly that will affect my bedding situation. It's a sweet engine that's only done a few miles in the 9 years he's had the car, it would have been a cheap engine but I would guess sourcing the diesel bell housing would be harder than an RJES adapter for the EJ.
The EJ is very attractive since all the loom is ready to go, I know the engine (it's been all over Europe in the buggy, loads of charity rallies and not been any trouble!), the expense would be the adaptor, exhaust, throttle body etc which are clearly readily available.
The WBX is really quite good although uses about 500ml/750 miles, no leaks or smoke and superbly smooth and flexible, did the Hardknott pass without any issues at all. The switch has been put in front of me by the offer of the EJ, stripping the Passat would seem a faff if the EJ is as easy as it sounds.
Looking at your own triple Scooby fleet it seems a no-brainer, but had to ask!
My friend swears by RJES as he's on his third Scooby switch, sounds like they would be good for me too.
2002 Toyota Previa micro camper, 2021 Jeep Renegade 3 pot, 1992 Fiat Ducato Murvi LWB hi top