Fueling problem and buzzing noise 2.1 injection

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

IainG
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fueling problem and buzzing noise 2.1 injection

Post by IainG »

I became aware of a buzzing noise the other day which sounded like it was coming from under the van. When I started the van the next day it was ok, but the buzzing returned after a few miles. I also felt it cutting out on acceleration until it got to the point that beyond the lightest of touches on the accelerator the van would just die. I stopped for a bit and the buzzing seemed to be coming from the fuel pump, which fitted with it cutting out under load. It would be ok for a few mins then start cutting out again.

I've changed the fuel pump and filter and just driven for about 2 miles and the new pump has started buzzing but I haven't gone far enough to see if it is still cutting out. The noise definitely appears to be coming from the pump and I can feel it too, but surely the new pump can't do the same unless something else is causing it?

Any thoughts?

It was a 2.1 injection but now has an EJ25 in it. Starts and idles as normal.

Iain

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Re: Fueling problem and buzzing noise 2.1 injection

Post by multisi »

The pump can be noisy especially if its the cheaper alternative replacement, just drive it and see what its like.
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Post by MGP »

Sounds like a restriction between the fuel tank and the pump, fuel pumps become very noisy when they are not fed enough fuel, possibly the pick up in the tank is blocked of the hose between the tank and pump has colapsed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dbz864
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 12098

Post by dbz864 »

Has it had a new tank ? Probably not so the chances are it will be rusty, had the same thing pump buzzing its "cock" off, cutting out/losing power, id already changed tank, put a new pump on, buzzing went. The old pump was full of rust. Is it a autosleeper conversion?
We should all start to live before we get too old. Fear is stupid. So are regrets.
- Marilyn Monroe

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

They can vibrate too quite noisily, check the rubber mounts for the pump are ok
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

11mm id feed hose from tank to pump ? filter after the pump same set up as original, return to the fuel tank from the Subaru fuel rail and the subaru third leg for the charcoal filter not used and connections to manifold deleted ?

IainG
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by IainG »

Thanks all. It's a Bilbo's conversion and as far as I'm aware it's the standard set up - certainly the pump and filter are as they were prior to the engine conversion. I've done about 4000 miles since conversion without issue.

I know the tank isn't the best as it leaks if filled right up and I've been meaning to change it, so I'll do that, renew the fuel lines and check the mounting of the pump. I'll give it a proper run first.