914 engine

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

westie 37
80-90 Mem No: 0

914 engine

Post by westie 37 »

Right guy this is for all you gurus out there just put a 1.8 engine in my t25 as it had the 1600ct as that died a death this 1.8 according to engine number is from a 914, yep check everthing and it fits perfect only down point it came with a Nikki twin carb but thats no the problem am ok at working on the mechanical side of things electrics differnt matter so i have come to the gods for some advice she start but only with the accelarator on the floor and this is tick over have to pump it a couple of times to keep it ticking over wont rev now checked the points good spark but when i was trying to get her running a gain yestarday put my hand on coil bloody hot so this could be my problem coil knackered so things arnt advancing when reving engine well it dont rev at the moment any way any advice guys before i go out and by new coil point plugs leads ye i will change the carb but funds low rember its christmas and i got kids :D

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: 914 engine

Post by bigherb »

westie 37 wrote: checked the points good spark but when i was trying to get her running a gain yestarday put my hand on coil bloody hot so this could be my problem coil knackered so things arnt advancing when reving engine well it dont rev at the moment any way any advice guys before i go out and by new coil point plugs leads
Did you fit a points ignition coil? Otherwise the electronic ignition coil will overload the points.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

A bit more as always at risk of teaching Granny to suck eggs:
Are there accelerator pumps on these carbs and if so is it possible that the main jets are gummed up? (assuming not run in this van before)
CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX

westie 37

Post by westie 37 »

i have cleaned out the jets in the carb well i think i have never seen one before but cleaned it as best as i can, as for points and coil its just your everyday set of points and a coil i had lying around just need to know if its getting hot because its knackered as for accelarator pump on carb dont know .

westie 37

Post by westie 37 »

am gonna try and put another coil on just to see if there is any diffarances and strip the carb and give it a good clean i was realy just wondering if a over heating coil is a sighn that its knackered as i have a bay aswell and the coil on that only gets warm .

westie 37

Post by westie 37 »

and just before i forget if you leave the ignaction on it gets realy hot the coil that is .

Mr Bean
R.I.P.

Post by Mr Bean »

Just wondering if the engine was running in the donor vehicle and how much of the original peripherals came with it. came with it.
CS
88 High top 2.1 WBX

westie 37

Post by westie 37 »

yes the engine was running when t was in the other vechile and it was running good but by the time i got it some one had claimed the coil and some leeds and i think it had been sitting in my mates barn for a couple of years but turns and ticks over , i did the old vacum test on the dizzy and can here a popping nose comeing from the vacum so i think the diaphram in that is perished so gonna replace that and some other things and see how i get on . but any ideas most welcome .

Mr Bean
R.I.P.

Post by Mr Bean »

The movement of the diaphragm can often induce a noise which could be described as popping but the real test criteria is air tightness and movement of the relevant component in the dizzy when sucked. Missing, popping at the exhaust or carbs or cutting out is one of the symptoms of retarded ignition which can be failure to advance when throttled up although.

It would be worthwhile to check the ignition timing if you can keep it running long enough to see what is going on so you can eliminate this as a cause of your problem.

If it is fuel starvation a teaspoon or so of petrol down the carb/s should give a short bust of something like normal running. if this works it kind of proves the ignition system and points to carburetor or air leakage issues. Don't peer down the carb/s while trying this though else- :shock:

CS
88 High top 2.1 WBX

westie 37

Post by westie 37 »

hi guys got the engine running and sounds sweet and here comes the but it has one of those nikke twin carb jobs on it douse any body have any informaction on the tuneing and setting of these carbs

hicksy
80-90 Mem No: 9372

Post by hicksy »

Hello mate,

Ive just sent you an email via this page but I don't suppose you still have the 1600CT Hanging around do you? I'm rebuilding one and could do with a breaker engine!

Regards,

Leigh
See the resto of Frank, my bug, here: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=666711" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See My Caravelle to Camper self build here: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=85063" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;