Upgrading an in-line DS 1.8 petrol to a later 8v Gti petrol?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Upgrading an in-line DS 1.8 petrol to a later 8v Gti petrol?

Post by New Kentish Campers »

I'm thinking on buying a van that currently has a DS code early Golf petrol engine which replaced the old 1.9 DG motor.

Can anyone tell me please if a later Golf engine, i.e the more commonly used 8v Gti would be a straightforward swap? Said van has an adaptor plate, perhaps an RJES one, I dont know so Im guessing that too will mate to this later engine?

I only ask all this because I am guessing this current engine might be tired or slower than a later motor, so was thinking of running it for now while I do the bodywork rust, etc and having a later engine purchased at some point, have it properly rebuilt and then installing it in place of the DS.

Lastly, it would be ok to convert either engine to lpg while I'm about it or would that too not be compatable with either engine?

Thanks for any advice

:ok

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Upgrading an in-line DS 1.8 petrol to a later 8v Gti petrol?

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Emma "Ermie" Vernal has a GTied van than runs on LPG.

Unfortunately I know nothing about the DS motors, if they have the same block layout you should have no problems.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

New Kentish Campers
80-90 Mem No: 8994

Re: Upgrading an in-line DS 1.8 petrol to a later 8v Gti petrol?

Post by New Kentish Campers »

Thanks, Titus.
Since my posting this, from reading the Wikipedia notes on VW engines, it would appear that they are all pretty much the same, both diesel and petrol used the same block. So presumably the adaptor plate would also pick up a later engine. I'll pm Emma, thank you.

:ok