AAZ timing questions....

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mrnickmuss
80-90 Mem No: 0

AAZ timing questions....

Post by mrnickmuss »

I have been running a replacement engine for the past couple of weeks, After a number of teething problems it is oil and water leak free and everything seems to be running fine. However it seems to be a little louder than my old engine and sounds that it is revving a little high on tick over and when it is under load up hill it is smoking. To the extent that cars behind back off. The guy I bought the engine from at the time said the timing could be a tooth out... This would make sense. I have got to know this engine well of the past weeks but havent done the timing before. I have the support of an experinced mechanic but he has asked me to find out which way the pump needs to be turned to sort it.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

MGP
80-90 Mem No: 13910

Re: AAZ timing questions....

Post by MGP »

If the belt is a tooth out then it was obviously fitted incorrectly, the best course of action would be to fit a new belt and tensioner, there are a few things that can be damaged by an incorrectly tensioned belt such as the intermediate shaft bearings (will cause low oil pressure) and the fuel pump shaft bush (will cause a fuel leak and running problems).
These are the tools that you NEED to do the job properly
Image.
Pump timing for an aaz is 0.80mm +/- 0.02mm at tdc.
Your issue could be caused by a badly adjusted lda, max fuel screw, low boost pressure or a combination of all of the above but you need to get the timing right to fault find anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
'89 1.9td AAZ engine
http://www.dubsonthefritz.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;