AAZ temp sender alternative??

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

AAZ temp sender alternative??

Post by DiscoDave »

Morning all, I've recently acquired a double cab with an AAZ, I'' working my way through it sorting out a few bits and pieces. One of the things is that the temp gauge on the standard clocks is only reaching the high end of the first white mark durin normal motoring.

Can anyone recommend an alternative sender that will be more accurate in conjunction with the gauge, or suggest a reason why it's better to leave it as it is?

Many thanks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: AAZ temp sender alternative??

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Ideally you need to use the original JX water spigot on the back of the head as it has the correct sized holes for the correct senders, if your AAZ is the same as my 1Y its spigot will have used completely different senders originally.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Have you checked if the gauge is accurate? In other words, is it getting up to temp, or is it actually running cool due to failed open/wrong/missing thermostat?
If that's all correct then I'd look at wiring connection at sender for a high resistance.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

DiscoDave
80-90 Mem No: 684

Post by DiscoDave »

thank you chaps, i'll have a gander (at some point) and se what i can work out. :ok

mrnickmuss
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mrnickmuss »

Had the same issue with mine when I put in a replacement AAZ it tuned out to me a thermostat that the rubber seal had failed.
Worth putting in a new thermostat which opens at a lower temp a worthwhile and cheap upgrade.
Brickwerks sell them.