runs 4 seconds and dies, unless using carb cleaner !

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: runs 4 seconds and dies, unless using carb cleaner !

Post by Aidan »

Brickie now stocks the correct 2.1 bosch pump; the cheap one I got was noisy by comparison yet supposedly delivers slightly more flow which I'm dubious of, like they took a lower rated one and turned up the revs somehow so they didn't have to make both variants whereas Bosch make umpteen variants of what looks to be the same pump and the Volvo version is different to the VW one

boardmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 6853

Post by boardmonkey »

Aidan wrote:Brickie now stocks the correct 2.1 bosch pump; the cheap one I got was noisy by comparison yet supposedly delivers slightly more flow which I'm dubious of, like they took a lower rated one and turned up the revs somehow so they didn't have to make both variants whereas Bosch make umpteen variants of what looks to be the same pump and the Volvo version is different to the VW one

Hi, I got my pump from Brickie about a year ago.....it was the budget one, my engine is a 2.5 - so wonder if the 2.1 injection be enough for a 2.5 NA ?

If I clamp the return and oof up the pressure it runs...have swapped over the FPR today - no difference there....
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A

boardmonkey

Post by boardmonkey »

Hoopy_Frood wrote:I had this problem a while ago. The cheapy fuel pump I bought from GSF just wasn't up to the job (mainly because I dropped it onto the ground before I fitted it). It still made all the right noises and sounded like it was priming etc, but the engine would not fire unless i chucked some petrol directly into the intake (thanks to Nick Tune for that advice :)).

I bought a bosch pump and it started up immediately after that. Later, I read that the magnets in the fuel pumps can be easily dislodged if dropped/mishandled and then that's it knackered.

I'm not suggesting this is what's happening here, but if someone can lend you another pump to test, it might shed some light.

Iain

It was a brickie purchased pump, however as mentioned in reply to Aidan my lump is a 2.5 and the pump supports a 2.1...but yeah Im thinking a different pump is the way to go now. replaced the fpr today...but may get an adjustable fpr and boost the pressure that way as it runs when rtn fuel line clamped.
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A

multisi
80-90 Mem No: 12

Post by multisi »

Can you here the pump working ? I have one of the cheaper ones and that fuels the 3.3 , it makes some strange noises sometimes but it works ok. Who converted the loom ?
1992 red lle 2.2 subaru 1990 rhd caravelle 2.2 subaru 1986 california import vanagon

boardmonkey

Post by boardmonkey »

multisi wrote:Can you here the pump working ? I have one of the cheaper ones and that fuels the 3.3 , it makes some strange noises sometimes but it works ok. Who converted the loom ?

Pump runs before, during and after....it was an RJES coversion...no fault codes or errors.