T25 Subaru turbo = project begins

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

T25 Subaru turbo = project begins

Post by Domino »

Well iv finally got around to starting the engine swap on my van ,, decided I wanted to go strait to a turbo engine as I know these engines like the back of my hand so made sense ,,, engine is from a forester s turbo so only about 177bhp for now but that will do till I pull it out for a rebuild (forged) and stick a different turbo on and play with the mapping ,, I'm not after extra power just better power delivery

Iv now got all my parts from rjes so I will be slowly doing things over the next few months so will update this thread as I get things done

Not knowing anything about the T25 when I got mine I ended up buying one of the harder ones to do this sort of conversion on ,, its air cooled so need to put a water cooling system in , its got no brake servo assist so need to get that added and also it's a cable clutch so need to convert the whole thing to hydronic aswell , all this on top of the engine swap , but I do like a challenge lol ,,, iv got all the parts waiting to go on to do all this so it shouldn't take to long

I know once this is all done the weak point will be my gearbox , so once iv finished and it's running I'm planning on a box swap ,but not 100% sure what way that will pan out as looking at a few different conversions

So far the old engine is out and I'm just cleaning up some surface rust in the engine bay so will update with some pics once iv done some more

Cheers domino :ok

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Re: T25 Subaru turbo = project begins

Post by Dazco »

Look forward to seeing this, still not started mine , stripping the scoob and selling what I can for now .
Post lots of puctures :ok u
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Dollytony
80-90 Mem No: 14086

Post by Dollytony »

Look forward to reading about your progress, not sure if you have seen my thread, I converted an air cooled Westy to ej25 power last year, may help a bit.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=140429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1981 Westfalia Poptop now EJ25 Powered

Domino

Post by Domino »

Dollytony wrote:Look forward to reading about your progress, not sure if you have seen my thread, I converted an air cooled Westy to ej25 power last year, may help a bit.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=140429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will give it a look over when I get time to sit down and have a read thanks as any extra info is helpful at the mo lol

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

Looking forward to this thread also. Good luck with the build!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Sorry not many pics at the mo

Removed dash and dropped steering colum to removed the cable clutch pedal and none servo assit brakes and have now fitted the replacements ,, not sure on what to do with the dash to make it look nicer so going to give it a quick spray and replace it for now till iv made my mind up as most of the stuff being fitted at the mo is just being mocked up and made nice after when I get time

Bell housing now fitted to gearbox and I have given the engine bay some paint to improve things in there as much as I can before the engine goes in :ok

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

Hi there
While your in this deep with the dash. You would be much better off ditching the servo for a bmw e30 one. The difference is huge that it makes to the breaks.

All the best and good luck with the project

Neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

Domino

Post by Domino »

axeman wrote:Hi there
While your in this deep with the dash. You would be much better off ditching the servo for a bmw e30 one. The difference is huge that it makes to the breaks.

All the best and good luck with the project

Neil

Hi Neil

To be honest I'm used to removing and replacing (back in original condition ) Subaru dashes as iv done loads so this one was very easy in comparison lol

That is somthing I did consider but I'm going to re address the brakes once the engine is up and running , I was more after changing the clutch this time as need a hydro one for the Subaru conversion but did both at the same time as there attached to each other,, once I start on the brakes I'll upgrade the whole system but for now I'm going to consantrate on getting the engine in and running and then address the rest of the van :ok

Domino

Post by Domino »

Well that the heavy part done

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

If that non-servo pedal box is up for grabs I may have a use for it (remote servo)

busprojekte.de make a nice EJ-to-UN1 bellhousing :wink:

Domino

Post by Domino »

silverbullet wrote:If that non-servo pedal box is up for grabs I may have a use for it (remote servo)

busprojekte.de make a nice EJ-to-UN1 bellhousing :wink:

Your more than welcome to it ,, I'll try and sort it out ready to post for you as not sure how I'll wrap it up yet but I'll work it out :ok

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Hi Domino.

Where are you in Bristol?
Would like to take a peek at how you are doing the conversion.

If you are adverse to strangers dropping by, I will understand.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Smiffo wrote:Hi Domino.

Where are you in Bristol?
Would like to take a peek at how you are doing the conversion.

If you are adverse to strangers dropping by, I will understand.

Lol get at least 3 or 4 visitors a week for Subaru stuff so nothing new , I'll pm you with my number :ok

Tonkatoy
80-90 Mem No: 15228

Post by Tonkatoy »

Popped in to collect the old air cooled engine which will be going into my crossover bay when I sell it, must say dooming knows his stuff and has now got me on the bite for a scuba engine in my single cab
Keep up the good work and test that gearbox to destruction so I can have the bell housing !!!

Domino

Post by Domino »

Tonkatoy wrote:Popped in to collect the old air cooled engine which will be going into my crossover bay when I sell it, must say dooming knows his stuff and has now got me on the bite for a scuba engine in my single cab
Keep up the good work and test that gearbox to destruction so I can have the bell housing !!!

No problem mate I'll make sure it doesn't last to long lol ,,, was good to have a chat to someone from the VW world as all iv done is Subaru stuff for years so all the van side of things is still very new to me

Your welcome at mine anytime to catch up mate :ok