T25 Subaru turbo = project begins

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Re: T25 Subaru turbo = project begins

Post by Domino »

silverbullet wrote:Fit the later (post-85?) steering uprights and the later brakes with an E30 BMW servo, that will make it stop.
I had an EJ22 in a bus with the early Girling brakes, they were OK in a tin-top but you needed strong legs.

Thanks for the tips , so what brakes should be on the my van now ? Single piston ones or the duel piston ? , where the van is still quite new to me I'm still not sure what I'm looking at when I'm looking for stuff lol ,, need to get a Manual for it really , thanks again for the advice it's really apprishiated :ok :ok

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

Hi Domino.

OK, I know I haven't popped round to look at your conversion yet - it's the age old problem of not having enough hours in a day ( 1st world problems LOL. )

I can't help with your specific brake question as mine is in the garage getting some body work done. What I can advise is that I may very shortly have some late ( 1989 ) uprights going for sale.
Once the body work is done, I am going the hydraulic power steering route. Part of the `kit` I have has specific power steering style uprights...
( I was told they are different, and were therefore sold to me as part of the package with the pump, pulley, reservoir and rack etc. )

I thought I would throw that out there if you decide to go this route of installing a BMW derived braking system as suggested above by SB.
3 or 4 weeks max until I am there I think. No pressure - if you don't want them they will be going in the `for sale` section anyway with the steering column etc.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Smiffo wrote:Hi Domino.

OK, I know I haven't popped round to look at your conversion yet - it's the age old problem of not having enough hours in a day ( 1st world problems LOL. )

I can't help with your specific brake question as mine is in the garage getting some body work done. What I can advise is that I may very shortly have some late ( 1989 ) uprights going for sale.
Once the body work is done, I am going the hydraulic power steering route. Part of the `kit` I have has specific power steering style uprights...
( I was told they are different, and were therefore sold to me as part of the package with the pump, pulley, reservoir and rack etc. )

I thought I would throw that out there if you decide to go this route of installing a BMW derived braking system as suggested above by SB.
3 or 4 weeks max until I am there I think. No pressure - if you don't want them they will be going in the `for sale` section anyway with the steering column etc.

Welcome whenever you can make it so don't panic , sounds like somthing I'll be needing so I'm sure we can come to a deal when your ready if I haven't done somthing already by then but I'm in no major panic either :ok

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Yep, no probs.
If you need to sell the old ones for funds first, I should be able to let you have mine to instal while you advertise the old ones for sale - if needed - to minimise your downtime.

Anyway.
Just a query - I notice you went the RJES route for this conversion and kept the old gearbox. Out of curiosity, I was wondering why you didn't go the whole Subaru route and utilise a Subaru gearbox too?
( Someone I met with a Subaru Doka mentioned he was on his second gearbox within a year and wondered whether the VW box is really up to it. )

I have wanted to ask this a few times of some of the people on here doing this conversion, especially when they have the whole donar car at their disposal.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

Domino

Post by Domino »

Smiffo wrote:Yep, no probs.
If you need to sell the old ones for funds first, I should be able to let you have mine to instal while you advertise the old ones for sale - if needed - to minimise your downtime.

Anyway.
Just a query - I notice you went the RJES route for this conversion and kept the old gearbox. Out of curiosity, I was wondering why you didn't go the whole Subaru route and utilise a Subaru gearbox too?
( Someone I met with a Subaru Doka mentioned he was on his second gearbox within a year and wondered whether the VW box is really up to it. )

I have wanted to ask this a few times of some of the people on here doing this conversion, especially when they have the whole donar car at their disposal.

No rush so just let me know when your ready

Bottom line it was down to costs , Subaru gearbox conversions are about 2-3k , my way cost was around 500, that's a lot of 4 speed gearboxes lol ,, I'll prob end up reversing a Subaru box at some point when funds allow but for now it's working so I'm just trying to get it on the road to enjoy it ,, I managed to get a second hand RJES Bell housing and spline so made it even more cost effective for me to use the VW box , I'll prob get another one on standby just in case this one does let go :ok

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Smiffo wrote:Hi Domino.

Apologies for jumping in but would you mind sharing with me where you obtained your pas steering rack from?
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Of course, his name is Mick - NWVW bloke that advertises here.
His number is 07968 367046

I would add, as per other's observations, that although everything turned up as advertised, it took an age and arrived in several different stages.
If you are in no rush, then you certainly get what you are ordering.
I managed to get everything from him - pulleys, reservoir, UJ joint, steering column, brackets, pumps, racks and uprights. The only bits I needed elsewhere were the hoses that go from the front to the rear of the van, but Brickwerks do them.
If you are converting to power steering you will need all that. If you just need the rack as a replacement, it would be easier to get hold of I would imagine.
'89 1.9 DG

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Smiffo wrote:Of course, his name is Mick - NWVW bloke that advertises here.
His number is 07968 367046

I would add, as per other's observations, that although everything turned up as advertised, it took an age and arrived in several different stages.
If you are in no rush, then you certainly get what you are ordering.
I managed to get everything from him - pulleys, reservoir, UJ joint, steering column, brackets, pumps, racks and uprights. The only bits I needed elsewhere were the hoses that go from the front to the rear of the van, but Brickwerks do them.
If you are converting to power steering you will need all that. If you just need the rack as a replacement, it would be easier to get hold of I would imagine.

Ah, Mick. I've bought tonnes of stuff of him and he is aware that I'm after a rack and plenty of other plum pieces, perhaps , I ought to give him another call :ok
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

chapperss
80-90 Mem No: 1343

Post by chapperss »

Hello Domino. Re Brakes. Ive got a KIT from EPYTEC.de that uses passat "ate57" calipers and allows you to use the big passat discs(312mm I think).They work great in my bus and I guess I've got similar power to you? . My gearbox only let go as I did a crappy gear shift and put my foot down when second gear not fully engaged! so if you drive properly I'm sure the vw one will be good for a while. glad the bell housing I sold you has been put to good use.
1990 twin slider transporter. Subaru 5 speed trans. 3.3 svx subaru motor(it scares me!)

Domino

Post by Domino »

chapperss wrote:Hello Domino. Re Brakes. Ive got a KIT from EPYTEC.de that uses passat "ate57" calipers and allows you to use the big passat discs(312mm I think).They work great in my bus and I guess I've got similar power to you? . My gearbox only let go as I did a crappy gear shift and put my foot down when second gear not fully engaged! so if you drive properly I'm sure the vw one will be good for a while. glad the bell housing I sold you has been put to good use.

Yes mate thanks it's defo been put to good use , and I'm sure someone else will get use of it when I go down the Subaru gearbox route , just need to find someone to do the work on it for me lol :ok

chapperss

Post by chapperss »

Hmm! Might have some time over the winter i suppose.
1990 twin slider transporter. Subaru 5 speed trans. 3.3 svx subaru motor(it scares me!)

Domino

Post by Domino »

chapperss wrote:Hmm! Might have some time over the winter i suppose.

As you have already done one I'd love if you could help me out by doing mine aswell as I was debating buying one already done from subarugears but as you know there not cheap , but in all honesty it's not really about the money it's more about not wanting to work on a gearbox , sounds funny I know as I do everything else on a Scoob with ease but I just have a fobia about gears lol

Domino

Post by Domino »

Well it now has a MOT , brakes were suspect but just passed but I'm still not happy with them so will be looking to upgrade them in the next few months but won't be driving it much over the winter anyway

Seems iv fallen in love with my van a bit more than I was expecting so iv made my mind up to sell off one of my other subarus that I was planning on keeping as a collectors item as its a limited edition , didn't think I'd be selling it for a few years but iv had a couple of nice offers for it so I'm planning on sinking some of the money into the van as I can't see me selling the van for a while as its so much fun :ok

chapperss

Post by chapperss »

If your in no rush,then I can probably help. I,ve got some bits already,ie drive shaft flanges . the pinion depth tool etc . so you wouldn't need a complete kit. You might want to wait a bit to see if the exchange rate improves a bit though!! as Todd ships the stuff really quickly anyway.

Domino

Post by Domino »

chapperss wrote:If your in no rush,then I can probably help. I,ve got some bits already,ie drive shaft flanges . the pinion depth tool etc . so you wouldn't need a complete kit. You might want to wait a bit to see if the exchange rate improves a bit though!! as Todd ships the stuff really quickly anyway.

im defo in no rush , think iv got a friend of a friend that can help me sorce the parts I need so soon as iv got some spare cash I'll start buying the stuff I need

Would you have a go at doing a 6 speed ? Iv got one laying around at the mo lol