What Engine?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

oliverriddett
80-90 Mem No: 13563

Re: What Engine?

Post by oliverriddett »

Im just doing this very thing.... My DG was failing me. Even after having it rebuilt, i only got about 20 mpg at best round town, out and about. Ive weighed up for weeks and I feel that the easiest and cheapest solution was to go for an AAZ from the golf. You need a five-speed gearbox though, which i have had to swap out so tat adds to expense.

costs go as so:
Engine (120k) and delivery - £450
Diesel conversion parts (sump, bars etcs) - £700
Elbow greas - £0
basic mechanical knowledge - £0
others (nut, bolts, steel) - £50-100

Total - £1250 DIY

a reliable, bomb proof engine set up that will return 35 mpg being looked after untill 3-400K apparently

(I haven't completed my build yet)
1989 7 Berth Super Viking 2.0 GTI (AGG)

philyoung
80-90 Mem No: 15404

Post by philyoung »

I think your estimate for sourcing and fitting a Subaru engine is way off if you're paying someone to do it. The trouble with all swaps is you're fitting a second hand engine that might last ages or might fall over next month. Not an easy decision. My 2.1MV was falling over and after ages looking at lots of alternatives Ian is building me a 2.5WBX. Expensive but a new engine, still VW and similar power/torque to a Subaru (I doubt it will,be very economical mind!)
1990 LHD 2.5WBX Syncro Krankenwagen

anaconda
80-90 Mem No: 8055

Post by anaconda »

What about a mk3 gti? I know several people who have them and theyre another good combination of performance and economic driving.

For what its worth i think youre doing the right thing. I hated being stuck with the lorries on the inside lane of the motorway and sometimes overtaken on hills.I know many are happy to cruise at 60-65 odd but the extra 10mph of the Subaru, tdi or gti makes a fair old difference. The 1.7d and 1.9 petrol i had were great around town though. Im without a t25 at the moment and am looking at one with a 2.0 na Scooby engine. Im not a mechanic so i listen to knowledgeable people and read a lot to get as much info as possible. Theyre generally more reliable than the original engines and i just want the extra that it would give me. Id be looking at Gti's if there were any around now in my price range but the subaru will be great too. Good luck whichever way it goes.
John