AAZ Cold Start Solenoid?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

AAZ Cold Start Solenoid?

Post by Mark S »

I've got an AAZ that replaced on old CS with a manual cold-start lever operated from the dash. This has lain disconnected because there is no mechanical lever for it to connect to on the AAZ pump.

There are, however, a number of electrical connections on the AAZ pump. There is the fuel cut-off solenoid (black wire towards top) that is obviously wired in as before otherwise the van won't start. There is a pair of thick black wires coming from the bottom of the pump, which I read somewhere might be linked to the immobiliser in the donor car (not required here). And there is another pair of coloured wires about halfway up the pump. I'm wondering whether these might be the cold-start solenoid?

Someone is going to ask me now which of the 14 AAZ pumps I've got. :? Well, I won't know in detail until next time I get the lid off and then I'll get the part number if legible. It's quite a tall one with a vacuum unit on top with a pipe going to the inlet manifold, if that gives any clues.

Plan is - if my pump has in fact got a cold-start solenoid - to wire it in to a manual switch on the dash. This is to avoid smoke on start-up, particularly at campsites. Has anyone done this and any tips?

Cheers.
1987 Westy Joker

Mark S

Re: AAZ Cold Start Solenoid?

Post by Mark S »

OK, I think I've got the pump in the picture on this thread: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/late- ... 54399.html.

So position Y is the cold-start solenoid - can anyone confirm this?

Second question wrt powering it: is there a terminal on the glowplug relay to activate this automatically, or is a manual line the only way to go?

Many thanks.
1987 Westy Joker

mrnickmuss
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mrnickmuss »

Did you get anywhere with this? having similar issues....

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Wire the cold start solenoid to the glow plug buzz bar. No switch on dash or extra wiring needed.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

^^ WHS

in cold conditions the glows on an I4 IDI engine can continue to power for 30 secs after ignition
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

mrnickmuss
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by mrnickmuss »

Thanks guys... I am really getting to know my van one issue at a time!

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Saw these replies and thought to do an update as the OP.

1. Identified the cold-start solenoid easily enough. Tested it with 12V and was expecting to see some movement but it did two-fifths of Football Association. Therefore assumed it was shot, unscrewed it and threw it away.

2. Bought a cable end-type barrel adjuster from eBay for a few £. Idea was to connect the manual cold-start cable to the lever previously actuated by the solenoid plunger so I could pull it from the dash as needed. This would use the now-vacant solenoid-holder bracket as the fixed stop. I would need to fabricate something with large washers, tin etc.

3. Couldn't be bothered and so the bits remain in my garage. Still no cold start.

Has anyone done this and could post pics? It might give me the motivation needed to break this cycle of sloth.
1987 Westy Joker

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Buy another pump.
It will run but not as it could.
That pump has a control unit to go with it, to get it to work is more work than just putting another pump on.
Use a jx pump, pipes and injectors.
You'll need to swap the injection pump mounting bracket for the none vernier pulley type.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

I'll look at that, thanks. TBF, the AAZ one has been on there for 13.5 years and has always run well controlled by just the throttle cable, although I appreciate it may not win any races. I believe also that the boost actuator does nothing in this model as the plunger is cylindrical so does not move the needle on boost.

It may be time to bite the bullet and up the performance. Where is the best place to get all the JX parts?
1987 Westy Joker

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

are you still looking for JX parts?
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

Mark S

Post by Mark S »

Yes, possibly: I'm looking to change my pump with immediate effect. I've been given some part numbers for viable AAZ pumps, but the 1.6 JX set-up is also an option. I've put a wanted post on here with the details.
1987 Westy Joker