Time to "Subaruin" EJ20 or EJ25 in a Westy?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Re: Time to "Subaruin" EJ20 or EJ25 in a Westy?

Post by printmonkey »

Yep, not quite right at all. I had a great test drive through all 4 gears with the driveshafts disconnected. Not what I was hoping for this weekend though, I had planned to make it to the Olympic Park and back at least.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Re: Time to

Post by ELVIS »

what2do wrote:
printmonkey wrote:Starting to lose patience with this swap now.

Yesterday evening I ran the van with the driveshafts off and went through the gears, the shift wasn't great and and I knew it would have to be adjusted.
This morning I connected the driveshafts but couldn't get the van into any gear with the engine running. I've disconnected the shift mechanism and found that the relay lever is loose and I can't select gears by hand, the gearbox is an ABD 4sp that I bought from Elvis which Aidan had rebuilt. Am I doing something stupid or is it time for a trip to Wales to let Aidan take a look?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sixd3ozv4mdq1 ... 7.mp4?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ooh, that's not quite right is it? What has Elvis said about it? If it weren't for the tranny issue, you'd be rolling by now wouldn't you? Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out to be a pig in a poke.

I've said nothing but there again this is the first I've heard/read about it.....

Don't know what to say other than it is a 0 mile gearbox after rebuild, never fitted or taken off pallet. PM has but report/invoice.

Gimme a shout if needs be chap :ok

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

ELVIS wrote:
what2do wrote:

Yesterday evening I ran the van with the driveshafts off and went through the gears, the shift wasn't great and and I knew it would have to be adjusted.
This morning I connected the driveshafts but couldn't get the van into any gear with the engine running. I've disconnected the shift mechanism and found that the relay lever is loose and I can't select gears by hand, the gearbox is an ABD 4sp that I bought from Elvis which Aidan had rebuilt. Am I doing something stupid or is it time for a trip to Wales to let Aidan take a look?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sixd3ozv4mdq1 ... 7.mp4?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ooh, that's not quite right is it? What has Elvis said about it? If it weren't for the tranny issue, you'd be rolling by now wouldn't you? Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out to be a pig in a poke.

I've said nothing but there again this is the first I've heard/read about it.....

Don't know what to say other than it is a 0 mile gearbox after rebuild, never fitted or taken off pallet. PM has but report/invoice.

Sorry Elvis, I didn't mean the message to come across as accusational, I'm aware that you know your stuff and wondered what your opinion was.
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

what2do

Post by what2do »

printmonkey wrote:Yep, not quite right at all. I had a great test drive through all 4 gears with the driveshafts disconnected. Not what I was hoping for this weekend though, I had planned to make it to the Olympic Park and back at least.

I know it sounds cumbersome but have you tried rotating one of the rear wheels whilst trying to engage one of the more difficult gears?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

No dramas and no offence taken chap :ok

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

ELVIS wrote:
what2do wrote:

I'm not doubting Elvis's honesty or Aidan's work. I'm sure I've cocked something up along the way. It use doesn't make sense why I could select gears before but not after I had connected the driveshafts.

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

what2do wrote:
printmonkey wrote:Yep, not quite right at all. I had a great test drive through all 4 gears with the driveshafts disconnected. Not what I was hoping for this weekend though, I had planned to make it to the Olympic Park and back at least.

I know it sounds cumbersome but have you tried rotating one of the rear wheels whilst trying to engage one of the more difficult gears?

I'm going to get under the van tonight and take another look at the relay lever. After getting an email from Aidan this morning, I'm sure the thick washer is missing. I'll give rotating a wheel a go.

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Disconnected one driveshaft tonight and rotated the drive flange (hate that word!) and can select all gears by hand. But the locking nut on the relay lever will not tighten up and I can't get it off either. I've put some plusgas on it and I'll have another go tomorrow night.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

Nut was a new nylock, sounds like you have stripped the threads on the nut and or shaft, if the selector arm is loose and the nut spins then you'd be best bringing it here

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Thanks Aidan, I'll take another look tonight and let you know. The selector arm was loose before I connected the linkage and I only nipped it up with a socket. Looks like I need to put a 7hr road trip on the fridge calendar :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

Thanks to Aidan's 'while you wait' service on Friday morning the gearbox is back in and I can select all gears. I ran out of time this afternoon so will fill it with oil on Saturday and get a test drive in.

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

What was the issue in the end chap?

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

ELVIS wrote:What was the issue in the end chap?

The thread on the selector was stripped so the relay lever was moving around. All good now which is all that matters. Looking forward to putting some miles on it asap.

what2do

Post by what2do »

Phew, that was lucky. Hoping to fit my Nix thus weekend with itchy, let's hope there's no dramas. :ok

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

It's finished! (ish).

First test drive yesterday morning. I need to adjust the gear linkage, throttle cable and check the engine ground wire. But it felt good to get it out on the road at last.

I'll have to look at a shortened sump, lots of traffic calming measures due to the 'Mini-Holland' scheme in Waltham Forest and I'm sure I scraped it.