Time to "Subaruin" EJ20 or EJ25 in a Westy?

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: Time to

Post by Aidan »

:ok

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Well done!
I'm still on stock sump, becoming less of a worry really. But I'll address it someday. Our van is fairly high so 'no worries' as yet. Not forgotten though :roll:
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Re: Time to "Subaruin" EJ20 or EJ25 in a Westy?

Post by printmonkey »

slowcoach wrote:Well done!
I'm still on stock sump, becoming less of a worry really. But I'll address it someday. Our van is fairly high so 'no worries' as yet. Not forgotten though :roll:

I guess it's not really a problem when your van is lifted. That was on my wish list but If I suggest it now the missus will go ballistic.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Nice one :ok
I know the feeling about the sugestion of a lift kit :rofl :rofl
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

printmonkey wrote:

I guess it's not really a problem when your van is lifted. That was on my wish list but If I suggest it now the missus will go ballistic.

Nothing to stop you putting some cheap spacers on the back as a short term measure to give you a lift of 15mm - 20mm and get a bit more clearance - I think Jed had a video on it.

Yep, found it:

http://campervanculture.com/2011/02/how ... ttle-cash/
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

clift_d wrote:
printmonkey wrote:

Nothing to stop you putting some cheap spacers on the back as a short term measure to give you a lift of 15mm - 20mm and get a bit more clearance - I think Jed had a video on it.

Yep, found it:

http://campervanculture.com/2011/02/how ... ttle-cash/

That's a good shout. I've got a set of spacers ready to go in, the rear is sagging with the Subaru engine fitted, which was expected. With your old springs fitted the ground clearance isn't great but will be ok for now.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

yeah the extra £250 for the modified sump didnt feel that attractive after shelling out for everything else! Id ideally want the smallcar cast sump which i think is better than the huggins one, but import costs stack up even further then..

PS my van isnt lidted, but has always sat quite high, and has fresh standard height springs on it (Lemforder springs from GSF)
===================

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

slowcoach wrote:yeah the extra £250 for the modified sump didnt feel that attractive after shelling out for everything else! Id ideally want the smallcar cast sump which i think is better than the huggins one, but import costs stack up even further then..

PS my van isnt lidted, but has always sat quite high, and has fresh standard height springs on it (Lemforder springs from GSF)

The small car sump does look good, I'm not sure what I'll do as I've used the RJES carrier and Rocky Mountain Westy exhaust headers. There is bound to be a compatibility issue.

I really thought your van was lifted from the pictures you've posted. Maybe larger tyres is the way to go! Ive had a set of Mercedes CLK alloys in storage at work for 4 years so it might be time to get them fitted with the largest tyres possible.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

printmonkey wrote:
The small car sump does look good, I'm not sure what I'll do as I've used the RJES carrier and Rocky Mountain Westy exhaust headers. There is bound to be a compatibility issue.

I really thought your van was lifted from the pictures you've posted. Maybe larger tyres is the way to go! Ive had a set of Mercedes CLK alloys in storage at work for 4 years so it might be time to get them fitted with the largest tyres possible.

I know the smallcar sump fits with the RJES bar, as ive seen them both fitted in person. I dont know about the RMW headers, but you can probably figure that from photos? once the exchange rate gets better, id be more inclined to order from the US - maybe we can do a group buy at some point?

i have 27" tyres which are no problem for the engine, so it would gain you some height i guess, youre best working out the extra lift it would give you by using a tyre calculator to get the dimensions. mine are 215/65/16s and dont rub, but thatd depend on your wheel offsets for those alloys.
===================

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

If the numbers work out it might be something to think about. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be ok with spacers for a while.

birdcage
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by birdcage »

2.5 no doubt, my wife has one in her Syncro and it's awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
#syncrostyle

boardmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 6853

Post by boardmonkey »

printmonkey wrote:I must be breaking the record for the most amount of time to do the Subaru swap, but it's running. :D

http://vid1076.photobucket.com/albums/w ... rsdueu.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only a few things left to sort out. I tried to tap the engine warning light into the OXS circuit but it's not working and the rev counter mod needs to be done.

Happy days.

No your not mate, my engine went in at Easter, its still on the bleedin drive !
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

We managed to fit in 2 short trips last month and I'm very happy with conversion. One problem though, it is LOUD!

Time to look at the intake, exhaust and buy some dynamat.

slowcoach

Post by slowcoach »

What's your exhaust? I'd tackle that first then intake
===================

printmonkey

Post by printmonkey »

slowcoach wrote:What's your exhaust? I'd tackle that first then intake

A cheap 4" clamp on exhaust from every exhaust part (eBay) onto the RMW headers. I used the exhaust of the donor legacy for a month or so but that was really loud.

The plan is to get something made to measure but for £30 it was worth a go.