Fitting JX Electric Water Pump

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Fitting JX Electric Water Pump

Post by Mark S »

Hi there, in 2003 I fitted an AAZ engine in place of a 1.6 NA diesel lump (CS). All worked brilliantly for 13 years up until a few days ago when there was a problem. Anyway, I am now looking at some jobs I should have done a long time ago. One was to fit an electric water pump as fitted to the JX (1.6 TD variant). Apparently this can run on to circulate water after the engine stops and also assists at low revs.

I can buy the pump quite cheaply here (non-genuine part): https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/251965561B#esp_pg=3.

It also needs a temperature sensor https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/251919521#esp_pg=2 although I am not sure where this screws into.

Can anyone give me a steer - with photo's ideally - or link to a wiki to show:

- How and where the pump is mounted physically.
- The water pipe arrangement.
- Where the temperature sensor fits.
- Wiring details - is there capacity in the CS loom or is extra wiring required?

Many thanks.
1987 Westy Joker

Buckaroo
80-90 Mem No: 15719
Location: Bramley, the village on the hill in South Yorkshire. It's downhill to everywhere from here.

Re: Fitting JX Electric Water Pump

Post by Buckaroo »

did you ever find any info on this?
If it's not a T3, where is the missing model between T2 and T4?
VW didn't make fractions, did they?

Mark S
80-90 Mem No: 1230

Re: Fitting JX Electric Water Pump

Post by Mark S »

Yes, all done. I bought the pump on eBay IIRC along with a mounting bracket. I bought the sender unit from some VW online shop. I also bought a JX wiring loom from someone on here. I discarded most of it but used the relevant lines and connectors. I can't remember if I used his old relay or bought a new one. I also changed some of the hoses.

I've no idea if it ever comes on but it's easy to test by shorting out the sensor line onto the engine block.

Now I can sleep at nights. :D
1987 Westy Joker