Engine replacement dilemma

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MinionBob
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine replacement dilemma

Post by MinionBob »

Dear all,

I'm a bit of a novice to the full workings of engines but am enjoying(!) finding out. Following coolant leak and general non-starting our 1.6 TDI diesel T25 Vanagon transporter is in the garage with blown head gasket, unrepairable cylinder head damage and broken fuel pump and busted barrel shaft (?) linked to crank thing. We've a good relationship with the garage and they were good enough to show us these bits so I am confident it's genuine, but am stuck on what to do next, repair / replace / replace with larger engine???

The engine was c. 180k miles and we think was genuine from birth of van in 1990, though I confess I don't know how I'd find out (it's not included in the fairly full service history we inherited). We figured if these bits are busted now other bits are likely to go too, so are leaning towards finding a new/revamped engine for the confidence in knowing it should have been fully assessed and worked over by a pro.

1) With respect to the folks who sell 2nd hand engines here, I wouldn't know a good one if advertised - so does anyone recommend a commercial outfit to source one, and what to look for?

2) is it wise to consider getting a 1.9 diesel / TDI (or even a 2.1?) as an upgrade on the current 1.6 which is sometimes lacking in power in the hills etc? Can the rest of the van 'take it' if a bigger engine goes in?

3) should I be prepared for other surprises linked to replacing engines and/or cylinder head and coolant damage? Someone suggested replacing radiator following a coolant explosion for example. Would the old gear box be compatible with more torque etc?

4) is there a ballpark figure for installation costs?

5) do insurers freak out when advised of such a modification?

Many thanks in advance!
Happy camping.....bob and the Red Baron, 1990 1.6 TDI westy...for now! :wink:

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Re: Engine replacement dilemma

Post by 123-jn »

I'm no expert but I would stick to a 1.9 turbo from a VW group car from the pre electronic control days, One with a rotary bosch pump. These are far easier to play with and do not need massive loom modifications and ECU's.
They are getting rarer though. It's best to find an old golf or any old late 80's early 90's vw group car etc with the engine still in and running and buy the car rather than just the engine. Then you know it works and can test it before you buy. Using an intercooler which can be taken from any car depending on the fit , and some creative hosing together with some wastegate tweaks and fuelling tweeks you can get some pretty good torque and power out of them.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I'd look at going to the AGG petrol engine which will be happier with the gearing you have and cheaper to find and fit than an AAZ and LEZ compatible and quieter and generally nicer and gives similar economy to the old JX, lots of 2 litre golfs out there now for not a lot of money

jaylo264
80-90 Mem No: 4769

Post by jaylo264 »

Aidan, do those comments also apply to a DG 1.9 petrol in my 1986 Autohomes Kamper, 4 speed box? Am thinking, now I have a new pop top roof, of changing the iron topsail...

kind regards,
jaylo
1986 Autohomes Kamper 1.9 Petrol DG

jaylo264
80-90 Mem No: 4769

Post by jaylo264 »

? :D
1986 Autohomes Kamper 1.9 Petrol DG

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Jaylo, no, an in-line 4 into a flat 4 (WBX engined van) is a much bigger job indeed. However, best start a new thread as tagging onto other folks threads often causes confusion ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Hi Bob, sorry your first post on here is because of your current troubles.

Just to help with a couple of points =

MinionBob wrote: 3) should I be prepared for other surprises linked to replacing engines and/or cylinder head and coolant damage? Someone suggested replacing radiator following a coolant explosion for example.
No, I would give it all a good back flush, check very carefully for any blocked pipes (it does happen) and give it a go. No need to change stuff like the rad "just in case" (imho)

MinionBob wrote:Would the old gear box be compatible with more torque etc?
I don't know much about Diesel T25s, but the suggestion made by Aidan re using an in-line 4 petrol motor from a Golf or Passatt will not stress the existing box (and is what I would do if I was in your situation, though others may not agree)

MinionBob wrote:4) is there a ballpark figure for installation costs?
Nope :o Replacing "like for like" = about 1 days work. I am thinking a non "electronic" version of the 1.9 is almost like for like, so not too much more work (again, I don't know much about this) but a modern electronic TDi is a lot of work (so I have read). An inline 4 petrol is not too much work, mostly stuff that does not involve much, if any, "fabrication" because it is built on the same block and basic head design as the 1.6D. Just some simple electrical and fuelling supply mods and perhaps a bit of creativity with the exhaust manifold and system.

MinionBob wrote:5) do insurers freak out when advised of such a modification?
Most will be fine with it. Tell them why you are doing it, ie replacing a blown up engine, not doing it for performance gains ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

MinionBob wrote:
2) is it wise to consider getting a 1.9 diesel / TDI (or even a 2.1?) as an upgrade on the current 1.6 which is sometimes lacking in power in the hills etc? Can the rest of the van 'take it' if a bigger engine goes in?

People had put some *ridiculous* motors into T25's just for fun. The Chassis will take quite a lot before needing serious mods/strengthening. The 1.9TDi is a nice upgrade. It certainly fills the gaps left behind by the 1.6. Of the 2 routes mentioned;
A) Mechanical TDi - from a very early golf etc
B) Electronic TDi - from a MK3 golf/early Sharan/Passat etc (usually called a 1Z or AFN engine).

The mechanical TDi is a very simple swap, it's essentially the same engine as your 1.6 just bored out.
The electronic TDi is much more complex although there are lots of kits and good advice available, requires the addition of a fair bit of wiring for the ECU (and dash cluster if you want one). This is the route I took and am very happy with it, I also installed a 'flipped' (upside down) gearbox from a Passat to make it much nicer to drive.

MinionBob wrote: 3) should I be prepared for other surprises linked to replacing engines and/or cylinder head and coolant damage? Someone suggested replacing radiator following a coolant explosion for example. Would the old gear box be compatible with more torque etc?

Don't replace anything because of someone's suggestion, you can remove everything and check it all manually. The gearbox can handle the torque of a mechanical TDi, and even an Electronic TDi if you're careful, however it's not suited at all to the engine speed. Your old 1.6 is happy about 3-3.5Krpm, the TDi wants something along the lines of 1.8-2.6K for normal road speeds. People have installed TDi's on 1.6 gearboxes and had plenty of success, but they end up revvy and thirsty. Aiden Talbot is your man to talk to, he can rebuild your 1.6TD gearbox to suit a new engine, well respected member of the forum.

MinionBob wrote: 4) is there a ballpark figure for installation costs?

Nope, it varies so wildly.

MinionBob wrote: 5) do insurers freak out when advised of such a modification?

Depends on the insurer, I'm with JK, it added about £100 to my premium, simple process though, called up and told them what I was doing. Paperwork came through straight away.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

theladfromleigh

Post by theladfromleigh »

Hi all. Been struggling recently with my 1.6 jx engine (though i have to say it's done itself proud) and it's getting close to that time...
I picked up on a comment by Aiden about the AGG 2.0 petrol being a good option, especially as i want to/need to keep the costs down. Ideally i want to avoid having to upgrade the gearbox (5 speed 3H) so this option is really interesting if the gearbox is more akin to it.
Does anyone know if it's a straight swap? Anyone had experience with this conversion??
Ta!!