Best subaru engine for the Syncro help?????

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sonny198
80-90 Mem No: 0

Best subaru engine for the Syncro help?????

Post by sonny198 »

Can anyone help me I want to do a Subaru conversion in my t25 Syncro.
What is the best Subaru engine to get, as I'm looking to buy the whole car, but not sure on which engine to go for?

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Re: Best subaru engine for the Syncro help?????

Post by irishkeet »

------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

mrmule
80-90 Mem No: 10656

Post by mrmule »

2.2 under powered. 3.0 power great but economy bad and too much for gearbox. 2.5 perfect. Try and get a SOHC version (later >2000)
T6 Pure Grey Kombi DSG 150PS on Bilsteins
RHD Caravelle Twin Slider DIY Syncro Westy EJ25

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

From someone who owns subarus and has being playing with them for many many years (and still is) ,, the 2.2 is the best all rounder ,, the 2.0 will Rev nice and easy but you will have a to rev it to get the most out of it ,, the 2.5 is good for torque so doesn't need to rev as much but the pistons are weak aswell as the head gaskets and they are known as the chocolate engine in the Subaru world ,, the 2.2 is considered the best engine for a good all rounder as it will Rev fairly easy and still have the torque to get you going ,,, the holy grail for any Subaru turbo owner is the a closed deck (stronger block) 2.2 stroked out to 2.35 using a 2.5 crank and custom rods with the 2.2 Pistons ,, I haven't been in the VW world very long and don't have a great deal of experience with the NA engine but can't see why it wouldn't be the same even without the turbo :ok

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

You forgot to mention the early block/late crank thrust problem ;)
I regularly convert early closed deck blocks to rear main bearing thust races for my local engine shop.
No pressure there!

Domino

Post by Domino »

silverbullet wrote:You forgot to mention the early block/late crank thrust problem ;)
I regularly convert early closed deck blocks to rear main bearing thust races for my local engine shop.
No pressure there!

:oops:

Yeah they also do a duel thrust crank now (can't remember the make) but never used one to say if there any good , I tend to use the later semi closed deck unless it's for a big power build as there far cheaper to get hold of ,, I also forgot the 2.1 Stroker (and I own one lol) ,, I'll talk subarus all day long but I'll try to remember this is a VW forum and some things might not be relevant on here ,, but be happy to talk your ear off if we are ever given the chance :D

sonny198

Post by sonny198 »

Thanks for all your help .. So I should try get the ej22 engine do I need the wiring loom or can some one make one for me if I just get the engine on its own ??

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Best to buy a complete runner, unless going for an aftermarket EMS such as MS3.
You will still need the engine loom though.
Rworking the full Subaru loom requires that you will also need keys for the immobilizer etc.
Buy a manual one, the auto versions have pins reversed/swapped in plugs and it gan give aggro when putting onto a manual transmission IME.
Or maybe thats just a TSR thing...

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Assuming you want n/a not turbo, consider a 2l or 2.5l from a B12 Legacy (up to 2003), or a 2.2 from a B11 (up to '98), auto's are OK if wired correctly (some TSR wiring jobs aren't). 2.5's are lovely except for their propensity to eat head gaskets, mine need doing (again) and this time I'll try STi MLS gaskets which will I hope be more robust.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

I have a H6 complete set up on the shelf awaiting consideration for the Westy. Might be a while tho so no change there

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

He's too modest... it's already on a pallet.

the darkside

Post by the darkside »

Domino wrote:From someone who owns subarus and has being playing with them for many many years (and still is) ,, the 2.2 is the best all rounder ,, the 2.0 will Rev nice and easy but you will have a to rev it to get the most out of it ,, the 2.5 is good for torque so doesn't need to rev as much but the pistons are weak aswell as the head gaskets and they are known as the chocolate engine in the Subaru world ,, the 2.2 is considered the best engine for a good all rounder as it will Rev fairly easy and still have the torque to get you going ,,, the holy grail for any Subaru turbo owner is the a closed deck (stronger block) 2.2 stroked out to 2.35 using a 2.5 crank and custom rods with the 2.2 Pistons ,, I haven't been in the VW world very long and don't have a great deal of experience with the NA engine but can't see why it wouldn't be the same even without the turbo :ok

i have 4 closed deck turbo engines and 2 2.5 quad cam n/a,ive just swapped my 2.2 single cab for a syncro doka that one of the 2.5s is going in but the 2.2 i used in a single cab for 14yrs and pretty bullet proof non interference engine.

Domino

Post by Domino »

the darkside wrote:
Domino wrote:From someone who owns subarus and has being playing with them for many many years (and still is) ,, the 2.2 is the best all rounder ,, the 2.0 will Rev nice and easy but you will have a to rev it to get the most out of it ,, the 2.5 is good for torque so doesn't need to rev as much but the pistons are weak aswell as the head gaskets and they are known as the chocolate engine in the Subaru world ,, the 2.2 is considered the best engine for a good all rounder as it will Rev fairly easy and still have the torque to get you going ,,, the holy grail for any Subaru turbo owner is the a closed deck (stronger block) 2.2 stroked out to 2.35 using a 2.5 crank and custom rods with the 2.2 Pistons ,, I haven't been in the VW world very long and don't have a great deal of experience with the NA engine but can't see why it wouldn't be the same even without the turbo :ok

i have 4 closed deck turbo engines and 2 2.5 quad cam n/a,ive just swapped my 2.2 single cab for a syncro doka that one of the 2.5s is going in but the 2.2 i used in a single cab for 14yrs and pretty bullet proof non interference engine.

Are any of the closed decks for sale as I'm always Looking for them as there needed for our big builds (600bhp+) :ok

jaber
80-90 Mem No: 14334

Post by jaber »

sonny198 wrote:Can anyone help me I want to do a Subaru conversion in my t25 Syncro.
What is the best Subaru engine to get, as I'm looking to buy the whole car, but not sure on which engine to go for?

well I am running a 2.0ej in my caravelle cant fault it loads of power

steve

Shaundon
80-90 Mem No: 9386

Post by Shaundon »

have the sohc 2.5's got the same issue with the head gasket?

also what sort of mileage would you look for in a donor engine?
1984 1.9 petrol wbx DH with a pierburg carb , LHD westfalia club joker.