My 1Y engine. Follow on jobs need doing

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jonnyb416
80-90 Mem No: 9259

My 1Y engine. Follow on jobs need doing

Post by Jonnyb416 »

Hi all, hoping I can get some help with a few snagging jobs after having my 1Y engine fitted if possible please?

My van is an 82 diesel that as far as I have owed it never had an engine. The wiring was a bit knackered and not very tidy to start with. I've had an engine fitted from a 97 Golf and although it is running fine and got us to Wales and back but there are a few things that need sorting before I can use the van to its full extent.

First one is the temperature gauge doesn't work. I have fitted new radiator switches and checked the radiator fan works and been told the water is pumping round fine. I think the 1Y water pump was used in the conversion. When I turn the ignition the gauge needle moves right up whilst the red light flashes quickly. After I start the engine the light stops flashing and the needle slowly moves back down.

Can anybody suggest what to do first please?

Thanks, Jon.
1982 Diesel hightop. 1Y engine. Still work in progress but running and taking us on holidays.