The Toad's DG to AGG Gti Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

The Toad's DG to AGG Gti Conversion

Post by badgerfax »

I don't know if anyone will be interested in this thread seeing as there is an identical conversion being done by Syncropatrick but did not want to hijack his so here we go.

It seems that summer here, the time for chin scratching is over and I have to get the spanners out, Not that I have any real mechanical experience other than brake disks and general servicing.

At the end of last year I got myself a Golf thanks to JesB, removed the engine and other useful bits and pieces, spent far too much time sending the remains of the golf via various couriers and surprised myself by getting a free engine and enough for a set of stainless water pipes :ok

The Agg in the mancave, Sump and oil pickup swapped, new timing belt, water pump, plugs and rotor arm fitted. Diesel thermostat pipem outlet fitted instead of the AGG one still needed bits shaving off to stop it fouling the casting.

MMMMM man tools, this was a bargain hardly used hoist for the princely sum of £50. Ebay auction ended on Christmas eve so guess the other bidders were in the pub.

Well the point of no return, I have to say that I did feel a little odd removing a working engine that has taken us on some good holidays but there were things I needed to sort out so the engine would have to have been dropped anyhow.

Many thanks to Elvis for the loom

And this shiny bit :ok

And to RJes for the throttle cable. Very speedy service.

Next job is to separate the gearbox.
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: The Toad's DG to AGG Gti Conversion

Post by lloydy »

Cant have to many build threads! Keep it going!
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Cheers lloydy :ok

This evenings after work task was to separate engine from gearbox. Didn't go too badly

Raised the end of the gearbox in an effort to prevent oil spillage whilst removing the bellhousing. Where the F**** is that oil coming from :!: Realised there was a wee hole in the casing I guess as a breather. Live & learn.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

I wish I had contacted Aiden to give the box a once over. From his site looks like he's megger busy.

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

Excellent. You have had a good off-season clearly. Well done for making a small profit on breaking the golf. I know that's a bit of a thankless task but feels good when the engine is free! Currently there are 3 GTI conversions underway from golfs I sourced ( 2x mk3 1xmk4). Looking forward to a few test drives. Always good donor vehicles available to me if anyone's interested. :)

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Lessons of the day:

DG bracket that holds the clutch slave cylinder to the bell housing must be different to diesel bracket. New bracket or adaptation of the DG bracket is required.

Removal of input shaft is not as easy as I thought. Still have not sussed it so any helpful advice welcome.

Turns out my box will likely need a rebuild.

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

badgerfax wrote:Removal of input shaft is not as easy as I thought. Still have not sussed it so any helpful advice welcome.
I was advised to get my box to Aidan for input shaft swapping. Glad I did as I don't have the tools or know-how. It was a days driving, but I know its done right.
My supplied TD input shaft was not worth fitting, and we found a problem with the locker actuator. Both got sorted.

The swarf on the magnet looks plentiful. I'm told the colour of the metal flakes can indicate which part of the box is wearing.

Interesting that we've gone at our swaps in different orders of work. Massive learning curve innit!
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

syncropatrick wrote:
badgerfax wrote:Removal of input shaft is not as easy as I thought. Still have not sussed it so any helpful advice welcome.
I was advised to get my box to Aidan for input shaft swapping. Glad I did as I don't have the tools or know-how. It was a days driving, but I know its done right.
My supplied TD input shaft was not worth fitting, and we found a problem with the locker actuator. Both got sorted.

The swarf on the magnet looks plentiful. I'm told the colour of the metal flakes can indicate which part of the box is wearing.

Interesting that we've gone at our swaps in different orders of work. Massive learning curve innit!

Yep, for a mechanical novice it's pretty damn steep, Just when you think you're on a roll something brings it to a halt.
I guess you must have booked with Aidan a while ago, I contacted him for some advice re the filings this morning and as I suspected he's booked until till the end of July. I would like to be rolling for the summer so will get it to him later on in the year.

Just need to get the input shaft swapped & sort this damned bracket out :evil:

Must be a good feeling knowing you've got a solid box going on your van tho :ok

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

So not so much progress on the van this weekend, Life got in the way but hay ho we did enjoy a really good Nepalese curry :ok

One thing I did manage was to swap the input shafts over.
The shorter of the 2 is the one I am fitting.

Replacement was straightforward one I realized what I needed to do.

Slip circlip down the shaft
slide the collar towards you about 30mm
unscrew input shaft

Input shaft unscrewed

Replacement shaft was really well cleaned before fitting.

View from my workbench. Must change these sealed units, Can't stand leaded lights but they were free :ok

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Ok so may be of use to someone who is shopping for parts.
These are bits I bought for the Golf AGG engine. I am sure there will be more before the install is complete.

From Brickwerks

Thermostat cover for diesel engines V10-0283
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 83&x=0&y=0

oil filler gasket 068-115-315A
http://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &x=13&y=19

From GSF

Drive belt 6PK894 to drive water pump and alternator only (deleting power steering and air con)
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/134vg0210" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sump gasket (rubber one)
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/116vg0041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From Euro car parts

1 x 501440107 @ 4.92 GBP
Bosch Oil Filter
for: Volkswagen Golf 2.0 1996
----
1 x 405440010 @ 4.20 GBP
Vemo Rotor Arm
----
4 x 408770560 @ 3.02 GBP
Bosch Spark Plug
----
1 x 374440130 @ 5.54 GBP
Elring Downpipe Gasket

Also a timing belt kit for MK3 golf AGG

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Had unexpected day off today so removed the driveshafts and inspected the CV joints. I noticed when removing the gearbox that the grease on one of them was really dry.

On disassembly I found:

Don't know if this one is too bad to re-use?

Also found a supplier of Rustoleum. B&Q does not supply it anymore and a member of staff was trying to tell me Valspar had taken them over :roll:

So painted the petrol tank....and the driveshafts

Also found a local one man band bespoke exhaust maker. Had a rather nice Ferrari on the ramps :ok He's going to make me up a nice quiet system. But not till June.

white dragon
80-90 Mem No: 10696

Post by white dragon »

Enjoying your build, keep up the good work.

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

white dragon wrote:Enjoying your build, keep up the good work.

Cheers chap :ok

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

Brewers do a full range of rustoleum- there's one in Folkestone .... Keep it up :)

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

jes*b wrote:Brewers do a full range of rustoleum- there's one in Folkestone .... Keep it up :)

Cheers Jes, Yep got some in Ashford. Even got a discount as I opened an account with them about 8 years ago when I renovated my house :ok

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Ok, so had a few hours on the van today and was quite productive.

Got my dipstick fitted (big thank you to Elvis :ok ) Did encounter a couple of issues though.
After drifting out the standard Agg dipstick with a useful long coach bold I found the diesel dipstick tube to be a couple of mm smaller in diameter. I used an o ring externally on the wee flange of the tube and then managed to push 5 more o rings up the tube from the inside with a couple of cable tie ends. The tube now nicely secure fingers crossed will not leak.

The tube also had a bracket that just managed to line up with a hole on the alternator so is well secure.

The other thing I had to do was carefully cut about 10mm off the end of both the tube and the dipstick as it fouled the sump.
It now sits just below the level of the oil pickup tube about 10mm from the base of the sump.
I will have to add a mark to the stick when I fill with oil for the first time (4.3 litres I think)?

The engine is now ready to come off the stand Yay!!! Next job is input shaft bearing, Sh!tplate, flywheel and clutch.

An other job I got to do while I had the dremmel out was to grind/trim the trunnion on the end of the Rjes throttle cable.

Fits nicely now.

One last thing. Fitting stainless water pipes proving to be a pain. Trying to work out which way they are supposed to go & wrestling them into position. Job for tomorrow now. My van having the smaller diameter hoses to start with has not helped. One rad pipe had to be attached before I got the pipe under the van. It was impossible to stretch onto the stainless when lying under the van.

Getting there tho :rofl