The Toad's DG to AGG Gti Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: The Toad's DG to AGG Gti Conversion

Post by Titus A Duxass »

:ok :ok
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

Joy!
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

badgerfax
80-90 Mem No: 2316

Post by badgerfax »

Cheers fella's :ok

My thanks go to everyone who has offered advice, support and encouragement during my build, It has been greatly appreciated.

Special thanks must go to Elvis who has put up with my numptyness on the phone a number of times, Cheers Fella :ok
Garyd for his bible, Who got me started in the first place
Aidan for pointing out my error with the bearing issue & more

Can't wait to have a drive! been grinning since yesterday and think last night was the first time in ages I did not wake up in the middle of the night thinking of pipes, wiring, fuel systems, exhausts or air boxes.....sure something else more mundane will creep in to disturb me slumber in the Minutes, days, weeks to come.
Twist my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska.

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Part number for polo Air Box : 6K0129607AL

Part number for polo replacement air filter : 6K0129620B

300CE
80-90 Mem No: 12017

Post by 300CE »

Great news chap!! :ok
'86 DG, Weber Carb

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Post by jes*b »

All gravy. Well done mate , swing by for a test drive at your earliest convenience :)

WestWey
80-90 Mem No: 11435

Post by WestWey »

Wow, an impressive thread for sure Badgerfax! :ok

Great to catch up at the weekend, hope the cooked breakfast was up to scratch. We had a good journey back in the van. Bring The Toad to Hastings some time, would love to have a look see. J
'87 Westfalia Multivan
1.6 TD

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

WestWey wrote:Wow, an impressive thread for sure Badgerfax! :ok

Great to catch up at the weekend, hope the cooked breakfast was up to scratch. We had a good journey back in the van. Bring The Toad to Hastings some time, would love to have a look see. J

Heyup James, Great to see you all too, and talk vans, probably for more time than we should have :oops: The wedding was nice too.
You have done very well with your van too. looks very tidy! Will have to sort out a camping trip soon.

Breakfast was large, cheap and tasty. Midlands breakfast much better than a south east one, that's for sure :ok

We were looking out for you on the way back but we were in the cafe for over an hour, so guess you had a good head start.

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

One of the last few things to pay attention to is the air box.

My Polo Sdi box recently turned up after a few weeks from Germany so I got the van started without any pipe on the input side, something I wanted to sort out.
I had an afternoon free so spent it looking in engine bay after engine bay in my reasonably local scrapyard (one of the few round here that still let you clamber about) I was surprised at just how few air boxes were to be found as I would not have thought they get broken often

Anyhoo, after some time rooting about I found lying on the back seat was this rather interesting elephants trunk. I don't even know what vehicle it came from but it did have an oval bit of plastic that was almost the right size for the airbox.

My first attempt looked great.

But I could not get in the gap to the vent. Its actually smaller than I thought :roll:

After a bit of surgery, application of a heat gun and a rubber o ring I have this:

The end of the elephants trunk now sits just below the air vent :ok

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Well I have been driving about this weekend with a pretty big grin plastered over me mush, Kevin at Zero exhausts finished on Friday so it was a cautious rumble through the back roads of Kent to my local garage for the MOT with me like an expectant dad for a couple of hours.
By the end of the afternoon I was down a good few hundred quid but in possession of a NEW MOT YAY!!
Got a thumbs up from Ben the tester for the install too.
Quick call to Adrian Flux to tell them I have a different engine and I'm all legal and ready for the summer, Just a couple of jobs left to do in tinkering time, managed to blag a couple of gauges for reasonable money on weebay and the senders/ashtray pod from BW so they've got to go in, got to finish the loom wrap, and the last faf is the pipe from MAF to Polo airbox.
Anyhoo here's a few pics of my shiny shiny pipey
Got a 25 year guarantee too

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Between trips this summer I finally found time to get shot of my cobbled together air intake piping and fit something a bit more permanent.
I already had the Polo SDi air filter box but the connection to the MAF consisted of a length of rainwater downpipe and some duct tape.

I bought a MAF adapter that supposedly fitted MK3 Golf's but the hole spacing's did not line up :roll: so I had to adapt and overcome.

Finished flange :lol:

The setup consists of the Flange adapter
76 to 70mm reducer (Now i'm pretty sure I ordered a black one!)
A 70mm pipe joiner
A 70mm 45 degree elbow

There is clearance from the belt but I am contemplating removing the oil filler at the next oil change.

Off to Beautiful days festival in a couple of days so this should be a good run to test it out!

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

badgerfax wrote: Image

That's a nice end result, I'll have to think about moving the battery so that I can get the Polo airbox in (and copy your expansion tank bracket).
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

badgerfax

Post by badgerfax »

Well early indications are a surprising boost to the available power and much less noisy.
Was even accelerating up hills! Did notice the oil temp went up to 110 degrees when I was pushing it tho so maybe oil cooler needed.

rett
80-90 Mem No: 5344

Post by rett »

just been having a read thru ,great write up ..
seriously thinking about the agg conversion.it might be a tad more than i could or want to bite off .. :ok