Syncro engine swap - DJ to AGG

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jes*b
80-90 Mem No: 10335

Re: Syncro engine swap - DJ to AGG

Post by jes*b »

Loving your work Patrick. fWIW - the black block is often corroded on so a quick grind / recip through the bracket speeds things up . If you are feeling frisky I would remove the drive shafts all together one way or another if you need the car to remain on its wheels . to get the gearbox past the CV's there's a knack , sort of lift , tilt & roll - not sure how easy this would be with engine still attached ? ( and shafts still there)

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

2nd engine out.
Note to self - its much better to have enough room for crane and OSB underfoot. The Golf is bit closer to the wall and the crane had to go in sideways which meant lots of up/down, up/down to manoeuvre it inches at a time. Too narrow a gap to get the OSB down as well.

Next - Golf parts removal. I'd like to have Golf gone by Friday so the wife can have her parking space back upon return from holiday.
List of things to remove= loom, ECU, immobilisor, immo ring from ignition, several relays.

Any trinkets worth removing before I get it taken away? Steering wheel, dash switches, clocks.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

Nice one. Re. selling the golf bits and pieces. There is a FB page for Mk3 selling of parts. Put the add up now and you may shift stuff by friday. The last golf i did netted a reasonable profit in the end but it did take longer than a few days! GTI trim will be good to keep , also all window mechs, bumpers, any rust free panels etc. Clocks etc. IME Its all worth something but its more a case of selling lots of it cheap over time than a few big cherry parts.

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Extracted ECU, relay plate, engine/ECU/clocks/relay plate loom, immo ring, immobiliser.

I'll chop the exhaust downpipe flange out in case I go the Elvis exhaust route.

Questions
Where do I get the charcoal filter solenoid from? What does it look like?
Do I need the throttle position module, and if so where is it?
Any other relays other than those on the relay plate? If so where?

Jes, thanks for FB page tip. If people what to pick and pull bits themselves I'll look at that.
I was more interested in whether there are any non engine swap Golf bits which can be used on the van.

jes*b

Post by jes*b »

If the pedal pot is suitable for Tdi ( Andy ? , Alex ? ) and you don't need it then I'll happily buy that Patrick. :D

ELVIS
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3111

Post by ELVIS »

Doesnt have a throttle pot as its cable operated and not 'fly by wire'.

Charcoal cannister is just behind Drivers side headlamp, on top of the chassis leg (kind of opposite where the battery is on passenger side) looks like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vw-golf-mk3-g ... 234eac4bb1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and is a bit smaller than a can of coke- will be obvious.

Some leave it on, some ditch it.

If you leave it on its (IMHO) another piece of junk to clutter the engine bay. You dont need it and dont use it. Some bods tuck it away and leave it plumbed in so as not to throw a fault code. I always cut the wires in the loom (one is black/white and think the other is green/yellow maybe?) and do away with it. Will throw up a fault code but will have no ill effect whatsoever .

IF you do take it out, be mindful that it is spliced into another black/white coming from the ECU which is the ignition live, this second one obviously needs to be left in place. :ok

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I guess that year Golf dont purge the vapour in the petrol tank before startup? Our 99 Shazzer does but its Simos EMS (cable throttle, charcoal can etc)

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

They do chap (and also cable/SIMOS) . :ok

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Yesterday was spent running van gearbox to Aidan to have a health check, JX/TD input shaft swapped in, few seals replaced, diff lock fettled and new bell housing examined and prepped.
Swung by Craig's in Birmingham on way back to drink tea and swap our stories about engine swaps and gearbox rebuilds.

Charcoal filter solenoid found - so small it was still attached to the loom.
Part number says 191906283a which seems to correlate.
What I think is the charcoal filter itself is quite large - about 1.5l pop bottle size, which I've discarded.

ELVIS
Trader

Post by ELVIS »

Leave this bit plugged in if you dont want a fault code, ditch it if you dont want extra clutter in the engine bay.

makes no difference performance wise if you leave it unplugged :ok

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Started stripping Golf engine of unwanted bits to get it on engine stand for swapping out of service parts. Play today stopped by Golf clutch held on with triple square bolts which I haven't got a tool for. Might need to buy one if I can't hammer on a normal socket.

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Slow progress.
Spent all morning removing flywheel, clutch, "pooh"-plate and working out how to mount engine to engine stand.
Had to fabricate a couple of tools as per Haynes to lock engine so various bolts could be undone, otherwise I was just turning the engine which will entertaining was pretty fruitless.
Two dowel sleeves in engine got in way of the stand mounts. Don't know it they're available new so removed them carefully for re-use. These I think - 014301153.

Oh, and also found the charcoal solenoid still piped up to the engine, so the thing I earlier thought it was must be something else.

Tool of the morning - 3/8" socket that got pounded onto the triple square clutch bolt heads. Never had to use the Imperial set before, so glad I kept it.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Needs must when the devil drives, Patrick!

All power to your elbow.

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

the dowles are available from tps for a pound or so each.

keep it coming

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Ian, thanks for encouragement.
Neil, thanks for info on dowels.

Yesterday afternoon not much happened. I kept getting distracted and didn't get my teeth into anything. Found yet another torn CV boot. Grr! Couldn't decide what to do next- prep AGG, disassemble AGG loom, remove fuel tank, clean and de-rust engine bay, etc, so called it an early day and enjoyed the sunshine in the garden with a tea and cake.

Today was the last day of my holiday so from now on its evenings and weekends only.
Spent the morning degreasing and cleaning up the engine bay to see what rust proofing might be needed.
Doesn't look too bad here, but the void behind the near side light fitting has a crappy hole in the sheet metal where what looks like a self-tapper has been ripped out. That will need scraping out and treatment.

You wouldn't know the van has a grey exterior!
Also spoke on the phone to Gary (Badgerfax) sharing tips.

After lunch found the chassis rails were completely caked with mud so ran hosepipe through to clear. Couldn't get it all out, so towbar had to come off so the mud can be properly cleared out (it was coming out anyway to swap in a Westy Syncro one I bought last year). One of the 6 bolts sheared off so spent two hours with centre punches making starter holes and increasing drill bits until it was drilled down enough to clear the rail inside. Along the way managed to squash my thumb with a 4lb lump hammer so its a good thing I'm stopping for at least 2 days, so my thumb can get round again.