Syncro engine swap - DJ to AGG

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Re: Syncro engine swap - DJ to AGG

Post by syncropatrick »

syncropatrick wrote:Does anyone have a new, unused one of these they can sell me? BW are out of stock.
https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/ ... -48mm.html
Got one from Heritage once my blinkers came off!
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Not much done this week. Work has been taking over plus I've got a lurgy. Only managed to order AGG service parts (thanks Badgerfax for the list), degreased the gearbox and diesel bell housing to make them nicer to work with and starting prepping diesel fuel tank.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Dont forget "der sonnendachbahn"
(Think thats the correct term)

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

silverbullet wrote:Dont forget "der sonnendachbahn"
(Think thats the correct term)
Yes thanks. That's easy and quick enough to do.

On another matter, what's the story with the felt/carpet pads on syncro fuel tanks?
3 tanks seen have different positions.
Do people bother with them?

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I was lazy and didnt bother putting the felt back on the tank straps after refurbing them (needs to be non-absorbent in my book. Camping mat?)
The top of the tank just had a strip in the long groove that is clearance for the rib under the rear deck, it was still stuck on so left it.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Correction:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 5#p7592655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

Lurgy conquered and I'm back in the saddle. Re-assembly has commenced.
Ian, thanks for carpet pad photos - very helpful.
Todays anointing was rust, vactan, steel wool fibres and dinitrol (in places), as the tank facing shell areas, towbar mounting members and engine bay were prepped. I'd previously given them a good clean and were bone dry after the recent good weather. Tomorrow is some chassis paint over vactan and then new diesel tank in.

Tank has received new rubber washer for filler pipe, new in-tank fuel filter and a trial fit of new sender gaskets, ring and new sender. The sender bits will get installed after the tank is back in, as I've still been unable to shift the offside top shock bolt so the filler pipe is in-situ. The filler pipe is rusty, I've done the best I can to brush it down, vactan and chassis paint but I'm not happy with it. I've been chasing down a fuel smell for two years and this is the latest suspect. There is the German chappy Martin Blank http://www.syncro-werkstatt.de who does nice SS bits; he does one of these. BW is out of stock and he's not answering emails. I guess I can re-assemble as is and swap the filler pipe later without taking tank out?

When the sender goes in, does the in-tank fuel hose run from there into the fuel filter bucket? This has a hole in the side to take a hose.

Should I swill some petrol round the diesel tank and discard it to remove any diesel? I'd rather not if I can avoid it as it'll be a messy job. The tank is bone dry inside and doesn't feel diesel'ly.

Diif lock actuator popped back on to gearbox, with new sleeve joint and roll pin thanks to Aidan. Mine was missing both so its no wonder the rear locker had got slow in dissengaging. Good to get that niggle understood and sorted.

New bell housing on, had a brief panic while I looked for the 10 bolts. As usual for me safely tucked away, but not ID'd!
The input shaft seal was replaced when at Aidan's.
The JX bell housing has a hole where the WBX didn't. What's this for and how do I deal with it?

I've noticed the gearbox mounts have different arrangements of washers. I was very careful to keep them as-is when I removed them a couple of months ago. Is this correct?
Nearside has one against the mount.
Offside has two against the mount.
Last edited by syncropatrick on 06 Jun 2015, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

That hole on the side is for the breather, there will be one the same near the top. Brickwerks now stock both the breather hoses
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

PetenAli
80-90 Mem No: 8569

Post by PetenAli »

Patrick. We had that petrol smell two years ago in France. It tuned out to be some corrosion on the metal pipe where it goes into the tank and there is a rubber seal. The corrosion was just letting vapour escape past the seal. Pipe came out, cleaned up and refitted - no problem since.

Pete
1987 Westy Syncro 2.5 DJ (Courtesy of 025MOTORSPORT)

Syncronaut #171

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

lloydy wrote:That hole on the side is for the breather, there will be one the same near the top. Brickwerks now stock both the breather hoses
Ta.
There is a top hole inset to housing, with an inspection plug in it. The side one is different with a pipe outlet. Can you point me at the BW hose?

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

PetenAli wrote:Patrick. We had that petrol smell two years ago in France. It tuned out to be some corrosion on the metal pipe where it goes into the tank and there is a rubber seal. The corrosion was just letting vapour escape past the seal. Pipe came out, cleaned up and refitted - no problem since.
Pete
Let's hope thats it. The old seal looked OK and was still pliant, but no harm in replacing it and tidying up the pipe.

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

syncropatrick wrote:
lloydy wrote:That hole on the side is for the breather, there will be one the same near the top. Brickwerks now stock both the breather hoses
Ta.
There is a top hole inset to housing, with an inspection plug in it. The side one is different with a pipe outlet. Can you point me at the BW hose?
Aha, some searching found something. This? https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/ ... -2968.html
And this for the top? https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/index.php/ ... upper.html
I'll have a look in the box of bits from Neil to see if I have them already.
On an AGG where do they go t'other end I wonder?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

they're the ones, they don't go anywhere on a TD, just stick up in the engine bay.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

syncropatrick

Post by syncropatrick »

lloydy wrote:they're the ones, they don't go anywhere on a TD, just stick up in the engine bay.
Ah! Quite different to the WBX one I'm familiar with, that was tiny - more akin to the front diff and gearbox nosecone breather pipe.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

vacuum unit is on upside down Patrick, spigots face down on the gearbox, up on the front diff, not so much of a problem on a diesel (or il4) but on a wbx the starter motor is where your spigots are now facing