1981 Aircooled Westy to Subaru EJ25 Conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jaybeeonline
80-90 Mem No: 10194

Re: 1981 Aircooled Westy to Subaru EJ25 Conversion

Post by jaybeeonline »

Dollytony wrote:With the Aircooled DK 4 speed box it has to move backwards by 60mm with the RJES conversion, so you have to extend the gear linkage, a kit is available from RJES with everything you need.
It involves marking, cutting, fitting an extension tube and welding it all up, obviously keeping it all in line.
This part of the conversion was the bit I was most worried about, but infact it was quite straight forward when you follow the RJES instructions.

Also fitted the expansion tank.

First and foremost, what a cracking and detailed thread. :ok

Daft question from someone new to Subaru conversions, as I am considering this for my 2.0 CU engined Aircooled van.

Why does the engine and box have to move backwards by 60mm?

J.

Dollytony
80-90 Mem No: 14086

Re: 1981 Aircooled Westy to Subaru EJ25 Conversion

Post by Dollytony »

jaybeeonline wrote:
Dollytony wrote:With the Aircooled DK 4 speed box it has to move backwards by 60mm with the RJES conversion, so you have to extend the gear linkage, a kit is available from RJES with everything you need.
It involves marking, cutting, fitting an extension tube and welding it all up, obviously keeping it all in line.
This part of the conversion was the bit I was most worried about, but infact it was quite straight forward when you follow the RJES instructions.

Also fitted the expansion tank.

First and foremost, what a cracking and detailed thread. :ok

Daft question from someone new to Subaru conversions, as I am considering this for my 2.0 CU engined Aircooled van.

Why does the engine and box have to move backwards by 60mm?

J.
Hi J

Glad you found the thread useful.

It is so that the Subaru engine sits in the right place in the engine bay. If the gearbox is not moved the engine is too far forward and the induction pipe will not fit.

Tony
1981 Westfalia Poptop now EJ25 Powered