Potential options for modern vw petrol engines

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Potential options for modern vw petrol engines

Post by discipleofsketch »

I'm just posting this out of curiosity really, as i'm happy with my tdi, and not planning any more engine swaps for hopefully(!) many years - but with the potential congestion charging/ banning of diesels from city centres that may/ may not happen in the future, I was wondering what modern vw petrol engines would bolt in to a T3 diesel bell-housing and be a good option to push a 2-tonne brick?

I know the old 8v golf gti engines fit (and people are happy with them), but as the supply of these will inevitably dry up I was curious about whether any more modern VW inline 4's would be a good option e.g. Polo engines - anyone done this or know of such a conversion? I know the conversion would be similar to a tdi in terms of wiring loom/ecu effort.

I wasn't thinking crazy power by the way, just sufficient for a family camper..
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Re: Potential options for modern vw petrol engines

Post by axeman »

i am in the process of fitting a 1.8 20v to my doka, ok so iam fitting it upright but it would mate too a diesle bell housing, the sump and oil pick up will need to be changed.

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

busbuddy
80-90 Mem No: 3043

Post by busbuddy »

have a look on the vanagon forums in the usa as they have been doing the 1.8T conversions (and others) for some years now, make sure you are sitting down when you look at the price of conversion pieces but it will give you an idea of whats out there
'88 1.9tdi karmann cheetah

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

they only cost alot if you buy the parts from the usa, there are other surplus outside of the usa that are far more reasonably priced that allow you to fit ANY vag petrol or diesle in line 4 un too 2012

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

discipleofsketch
80-90 Mem No: 11538

Post by discipleofsketch »

Still no immediate panic, but the UK are now legally obliged to improve air quality standards and phasing out old diesels is ceratinly on the table for discussion:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... ution.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Former owner of 1983 DG panel van and 1983 Devon moonraker pop-top, 1.9 tdi (1z) conversion

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

the lovely audi 30v V6 2.8 (ACK) bolts up to an SA bellhousing... as do the 5 cylinder inline audi lumps.
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

The worst bit is finding a SA bellhousing and a flywheel... worth it though ;)

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

The engine electrics on any Mk4 Golf or B5 Passat (>2005) would be hackable, so don't let that put anyone off. A V6 or 1.8T is very nice in a T3, the only thing holding them back is the cost of the conversion bits. The engines are cheap as chips, its a shame most just get recycled.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

i've been looking at this recently after a 1.8 20v came up for sale recently. What gearbox do you need to mate most easily up to the various VW engines?
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

next engine in my van will be a 1.8T, i live in the LEZ zone and i can see my TDI becoming non compliant in a couple years
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Post by Smosh »

It doesn't seem right that they can punish people for what they already own!
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Post by mrhutch »

Smosh wrote:It doesn't seem right that they can punish people for what they already own!

yes it does, if they insist on using lubricant as a fuel
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

printmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 11456

Post by printmonkey »

lloydy wrote:next engine in my van will be a 1.8T, i live in the LEZ zone and i can see my TDI becoming non compliant in a couple years

A 1.8T is on my todo list, the kit isn't cheap! http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagonCon ... icing.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I own a mk4 golf with a 20v V5. Every time I drive it on a motorway I start doing a spreadsheet in my head. It would be an ideal engine, it's so smooth if you don't rev the nuts of it. I've seen V5 Boras sell for less than £500 on eBay.
US Import Vanagon GL Westfalia (Subaru EJ25)

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

mrhutch wrote:
Smosh wrote:It doesn't seem right that they can punish people for what they already own!

yes it does, if they insist on using lubricant as a fuel
Pah! Mr Volvo..:lol:

as I'm registered as a camper, I'm fine at the moment. I do think that will change soon, hopefully not too quickly as id like to enjoy my new engine for a bit.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

printmonkey wrote:
lloydy wrote:next engine in my van will be a 1.8T, i live in the LEZ zone and i can see my TDI becoming non compliant in a couple years

A 1.8T is on my todo list, the kit isn't cheap! http://www.h2ovanagon.com/H2oVanagonCon ... icing.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I own a mk4 golf with a 20v V5. Every time I drive it on a motorway I start doing a spreadsheet in my head. It would be an ideal engine, it's so smooth if you don't rev the nuts of it. I've seen V5 Boras sell for less than £500 on eBay.
Those american kits are nice, and very complete. i'd want to find out about the looms 1st, just to check there isn't any american stuff that would make it not work with a euro engine.
FAS products are cheaper for carrier bars and bell housings adapters, not sure if it works on the 1.8T though