Getting There! 2 The AFN strikes back..

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Getting There! 2 The AFN strikes back..

Post by lloydy »

Hi all, have decided to separate my build thread a bit and put my engine work here. Most of you may know that i had a "not particularly good AFN conversion" carried out by someone. I spent a lot of time and money putting it right, it then turns out i am 70psi down on one cylinder which explains some running issues i've had. The best option for me (as i feel this engine is slightly cursed) is to start again. i have bought a head and block, these are being rebuilt with all new parts (OE quality) Block is being painted, all ancillaries are being replaced with new, gen vw if possible. Chargecooler, intake pipework and boost pipework are all going to be reworked to be in the best possible place. I'll also be taking apart the old engine to find out what the issue was.
So, here goes.
Here's the head i bought, straight off the engine, a bit mucky.. and no good for a discerning person like me

And after a clean, mild port, new tappets, seals ect :D

Image[/quote]
The head is now finished bar injectors and glow plugs. It will get 0.216 nozzles and genuine vw glowplugs
Last edited by lloydy on 08 Oct 2013, 15:25, edited 4 times in total.
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

lloydy

Re: Getting There 2 The AFN strikes back..

Post by lloydy »

The coolant flange on the back of the head, is getting a ally fitting with a socket for the T3 temp gauge sender. This type also has 3 glow plugs fitted to speed warm up times
While the block is being built up, i am collecting all the bits and pieces needed to build a complete turnk key engine..
First off is a brand spanking new jx sump
Also a new oil pump and rubber sump gasket (the latter is meant to be better at stopping the oil sweating through...Image
A brand new flywheel was sourced and paid for
ImageImage
The passat alternator/water pump/ps pump bracket was too mucky for my liking, so it was cleaned and a new bearing pressed in
before
ImageImage
after
It would of course be rude, to not then fit a genuine water pump to it
So thats it, up to date. I'll post as i buy things... and as engine work progresses. I really hope the finished product once installed will look as though its designed to be there. I've ummed and arred over where to put things like battery, chargecooler and the air filter box. The chargecooler is going to be mounted down low by the turbo (tight fit!) This will mean relocating the pump (behind rear light at the moment) to somewhere low down too. This will then hopefully enable me to fit a reservoir to the chargecooler circuit, at the moment the renault clio coolant tank is the likely candidate
The starter battery should then be able to move over to the left side of the engine bay on a new tray. This will leave the right hand side and D pillar free for the jx filter box and snorkel

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Re: Getting There! 2 The AFN strikes back..

Post by Plasticman »

Ah, part ii of the Trilogy :ok
mm

max and caddy
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by max and caddy »

Use the force...SNAP! Oops...to much force...

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Here's a few more pics for the saga...

Block...looks new..and has been honed by previous owner Andy...so as a formality really I measured it up..not expecting any dramas..

And bore gauge..don't use this very often but it's a nice tool...ex masarati dealers!

And in use....block must be measured on a table as stand can bend the block and cause dodgy readings...bores are measured at the unworn base and then various points to determine wear...

Really hard to get pics of this in use but results are...approx 0.02 mm difference (wear) top and bottom on all 4 bores on the thrust sides...zero on the unloaded sides as expected..the bore is around 0.02mm over size at its smallest point as well so that could be down to the honing..but good news is vw specs are very fussy and are set at 0.10 mm deviation from nominal figures so "wear" is well within spec...and block is good to use.

Had a real good look at the block...down all the oil holes etc with a handy laser pen...no muck hiding so I pulled the other engine apart to get the important bits out ready for cleaning and checking..and that's was about it for now..

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

All good then :D for my understanding 0.02 wear against 0.10 allowable is pretty good? only 1/5 worn?
Block does look very clean!
2nd to last pic, the rod on the left. Is that what is called the intermediate shaft?

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Glad the block gets the thumbs up, it does owe me a few hrs.. :grin:

The original paint was 99% intact, so I just cleaned it and gave it a fresh coat of engine paint.

That bore gauge rawks! I used what must be cheaper kit borrowed off my bro.
Last edited by syncroandy on 08 Oct 2013, 20:58, edited 2 times in total.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Yep... My measurements basically mean there's 0.02 mm wear difference between the bottom of the bore and the top of the bore...it's likely 0.01mm each side...and I didn't bring a micrometer home so actual bore dimension I couldn't check...but did a comparison to the other block at the unworn area and found 0.02 mm difference between the two engines....I will check the actuall bore size tomorrow..but...as expected...it's all ok!

That is indeed the aux shaft, aka the jack shaft..it does very little realy and is omitted on the later type ALH kinda engines...it runs on 2 bearings that rarely wear as such but sometime can start to flake...these are just fine and good job because replacement entails line boring the bearing to a finished size after fitment...we don't want to go there!

Pistons look perfect...all the shells are unmarked and that in itself means the chances of crank wear are nigh on zero...but I will measure just in case...vw cranks are renowned for being a hard as diamonds and my local crank grinding guy used to say (before I started measuring my own) " if i grind that I will spoil it" meaning its perfect...

So far so good..

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

syncroandy wrote:Glad the block gets the thumbs up, it does owe me a few hrs.. :grin:

Paint jobs great...just like new one!

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

such a pleasure to see detail and complete record of the work :ok
mm

Kermit'skeeper
80-90 Mem No: 12348

Post by Kermit'skeeper »

Should be a nice sweet engine, think I'm going to enjoy this build thread.
I'm doing a tdi/passat gearbox conversion at the moment and have spare AFN and 1Z engines in case you need any bits and pieces.(not far from Max and Caddy)
1982 was 2ltr a/c then 1.9d 5spd, now 1.9tdi with passat box. Reimo pop top.

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

Handy to know...I'm running a 1Z and building myself a Afn alongside lloydys so will certainly bear you in mind..ta :ok

So where are you?

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

thanks for the offer Kerm :D

i do find it amazing how clean the pistons and crank stay, always thought they would be a lot more blackened..
I think i now have a decent-ish pile of stuff to send up to you, will remove my good injectors this weekend then look at postage costs

Ooo, also have a new oil filter bracket on its way.

DavidPallister

Post by DavidPallister »

A few pages back on your other thread you mentioned initially having a complete engine off Max&Caddy, but the block was unexpectedly f**ked, what was wrong with it in the end?

Plasticman
Trader

Post by Plasticman »

lloydy wrote:thanks for the offer Kerm :D

i do find it amazing how clean the pistons and crank stay, always thought they would be a lot more blackened..
I think i now have a decent-ish pile of stuff to send up to you, will remove my good injectors this weekend then look at postage costs

Ooo, also have a new oil filter bracket on its way.
parcel2go citylink £11 nextday :D