1.9 PD T3 Westfalia Atlantic conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Kent Joker
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 1.9 PD T3 Westfalia Atlantic conversion

Post by Kent Joker »

Just back from Busfest,
so time for an update, crazy how quick the years roll by, all good on the Atlantic front, we managed a couple of trips in to europe this year, had to replace a couple of CV they don't seem to enjoy the torque! but all in all still pulls like crazy getting good mpg for a fast bus, gear box is still sweet.

We may do Brighton Breeze and we should be at Grill and Chill this weekend.
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic

Kai

Post by Kai »

Hi there.

I’m very interested to hear about your gearbox experiences.

I too have an flipped Passat box (90HP Passat estate box) but have fitted a AFN engine. This is all in the karmann Cheetah.

Thing drives great and is a pleasure to own how ever I too find the gears are too tall.

TBH I’d say mine is more of a lack of power issue as I can drive it in forth and it’s fine just slightly noisey and is just frustrating knowing there is another gear there to use.

Change into 5th and it slowly loses speed and the intake temperature just rises in an attempt to maintain a cruising speed of about 55MPH. It’s a struggle.

What have you changed in your gearbox? I guessing the 1.8t gearing is possibly lower geared then the TDI equivalent.

I’m in dire need to sort out my intake temperatures, then onto a remap. Or I break the S3 on the driveway and attempt to fit the 1.8T engine possibly with a 1.8t Passat box.

It’s still me crawling up the hills into Devon in 2nd gear and a 3 mile tailback of frustrated holiday makers. Not what I wanted from this engine conversion. Should of gone Subaru which is what I know lol.

randolph57
80-90 Mem No: 5801

Post by randolph57 »

Hi

The Power from a healthy AFN should be more than adequate to push along your cheetah even with gearing designed around a saloon car! I have a ETDI AFN in my T3 and in most conditions it is more than adequate and a vast improvement over the old asthmatic Jx being able to maintain previously dreamt of speeds easily. I have had issues mainly in the first few months after conversion with Boost leaks and turbo issues after re-indexing which manifested in the dreaded 'limp' mode and greatly reduced top speed which may be some of the issues you have.

As an aid to engine monitoring in real time my ultra-guage has been invaluable to see turbo boost and other parameters whilst vagcom has also been more than useful in determining MAF demands/MAF achieved and also that my fuel delivery has been within the fueling graph upper and lower limits. If you're not injecting the correct amount of fuel at the appropriate time with enough air you're not full-filling the correct stoichiometric ratio and already on a hiding and back in the slow lane!

Check out this link:- http://www.karmann-coachbuilts.com/tech ... renjs1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a old 'how to do it' albeit with a 1Z and modified original gearbox but the 90 horses was deemed ideal-perhaps a few of yours have 'escaped'? :shock: :lol:

So in summary check fuel timing/boost pressures/MAF achieved-in no particular order and also engine is able to breath with clean air filter/inlet tract and unrestricted exhaust.

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

Pretty much the same as 2017 got back to Carfest South and Busfest, Annecey in the summer Wiezndorf German VW meet in late September still running sweet :ok
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic