1.9 PD T3 Westfalia Atlantic conversion

for questions and answers about alternative power transplants on the T25, GTi, Porsche,Subaru etc, this is the place. You must register to post but anyone can read.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mazz
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: 1.9 PD T3 Westfalia Atlantic conversion

Post by mazz »

Yeah Pheaton and Toureag, I've seen one in a T3 and the hatch is around 150 mm - 200 mm higher than stock.
MV Engineering LTD
01952 581818 mveservices@hotmail.co.uk

ratinyho

Post by ratinyho »

[quote="mazz"]Just some photos of one of our projects we just completed, we have run a Passat 1.9 PD engine along with a flipped Passat box and cable shift gear mech, we also have replaced turbo with a PD 150hp unit along with a remap and charge cooler install, so here you are

Is this passat box 5 speed? Can the six speed be fitted with your cable shift?...Just out of interest as i have a bora 130 with a 6 speed in it :lol:

mazz

Post by mazz »

A Passat or Audi 6 speed could be fitted but not one from any transverse VAG group vehicle
MV Engineering LTD

max and caddy

Post by max and caddy »

mazz wrote:Its not so much the cost, its how it effects how practical your van becomes, the V6/V8 is a very deep engine so for one you would ethier have very poor ground clearence or face modifying your rear hatch and bed area, which on a westy becomes a problem. Then there is the fact that it would frighten the hell out of most garages so routine maintenance would become a big problem. I can easily push 250hp from the 1.9PD with 320HP well within reach of the 2.0 16v PD, the PD is far more tuneable than the Common rail diesel because of its injector system, meaning no other diesel can pop in more fuel per stroke than the PD. I would suggest the 2.5 5cyl T5 PD engine but it has some major design flaws and is a whole heap of trouble.

Kinda describes the whole van for me..

fufflenarnia

Post by fufflenarnia »

Hi All,
Keith bought this van to visit me today - I am doing this conversion, and he thought I may need some inspiration (spot on :ok ).

So, it has been beautifully done, Mario, you should be very proud.

Its a great base vehicle, but that engine and box put it to the absolute peak, it just pulls and pulls, its quiet cruising and has a lovely whistle under power. It has exactly the torque a van like these need.

In 5th it struggles a bit, but Keith is thinking about a bigger ecu map which may sort that out, if not, then its probably another diff swap.

I'm going upright in mine, I don't want to cut weeds and like my big tyres (and disks all round to suit) and standard suspension, so I am pretty sure I can get it under the engine lid without having to lift it and still have fair ground clearence, whatch my post in Brickyard if interested - sorry, I don't have the time to do 2 sets of posts :| .

Now back to looking at gearboxes....... I was going 6 speed, but like Mario have found it is one gear too far.......

mazz

Post by mazz »

We tried upright on Keith's first, if you need to retain hatch height it's a no go, clearance on Keith's was less than 100mm. As for 6 speed, I still think Keith's is to tall on gearing, but that is a problem we should be resolving this month. Shorter final drive on that van will bring it to life. There is so much talk about this flipped gearbox conversion being perfectly matched to the TDi engine, but no talk at all of the fact the vehicle the box is fitted in weighs 500kg less than a T3 and is far more aerodynamic ? So in other words it's not matched for a T3 at all.i know what we need now, so it shall all be good very soon :-).
MV Engineering LTD

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

A year on and a bit of an update, if you saw this post the first time round, so the best part of 10,000 miles later, still blown away by how well sorted my bus is. We managed to get a fair bit of use in the last 12 months and on one trip down to southern Austria in the summer we had to get back in a bit of a hurry and did a shade over a 1000 miles at 90mph and only stopped for fuel! more recently we went to Lake Annecy and did another 1200 mile round trip, I have just had to replace the drive shaft couplings I guess there a bit unhappy with the extra BHP but the flipped box is still working perfectly without any issues, It did go back to Mario for a few weeks over the winter and had a diff change gearing was slightly to tall, Had brake upgraded all round while it was there and now stops like it goes, detailed engine bay for good measure lost all the old unused holes and clips so look more factory than ever.
Being that mine was the prototype it was never a sure thing but as early diesel bits get harder to source and more expensive, engine choice is going to get harder, if you want to keep your bus on the road for the long term and fancy something a bit special this is surely has to be worth thinking about.
Keith
1990 PD TDI Westy Atlantic

donciuz
80-90 Mem No: 10995

Post by donciuz »

What cluch set up did you use on this conversion? Many thanks
1990 VW Vanagon Westfalia California 1.6TD (now 1.9 TDI 90bhp)

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

The clutch is from a Passat.
Keith

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

So another year on, not so much use as last year but still running spot on, I changed the oil in the box over the summer and there wasn't so much as a sparkle of metal in the oil or on the magnet so not expecting any real issue from the box, all in all couldn't be happier.
Keith

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

Here's a link.

http://youtu.be/6mBsfWgFqBM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

Well yet another year rolls by, and still performing well, over 20.000miles since build and no complaints, passed its MOT today [:)] so all good.
Keith

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

I was considering going for the PD in the future since I have the ARL in my golf and the 150 is a really competent engine, it just bugs me that the camshafts are made of some kind of cheese and don't seem to last under load. The T3 is going to be asking a lot more of the cam than my MK4 golf.

I'm already running a perfectly capable VE engine (AFN) in my bus with flipped box so it's one step closer already. Maybe in the future...

Dave.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

Kent Joker

Post by Kent Joker »

Any pictures Dave :ok
Keith

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

Kent Joker wrote:Any pictures Dave :ok

There's some in my Build thread but they aren't very good and to be fair they're out of date as I've updated the intercooler mounting, turbo and pretty much the entire intake system since that thread. You can take a look here ---> http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=141442" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll get some more recent photo's up soon, for my own records as much as everyone else.

Dave,
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'